[JPL] RE: Best jazz of the 1980s & '90s.

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Thu Dec 29 11:08:26 EST 2011

Brad wrote <<< Aloha Linda,

I apologize for my "flip" answer to this on FB, but I truly believe that

there are thousands of recordings during this time period that qualify.

They also largely get ignored by jazz radio on the whole, so I applaud your

efforts to find a place for them in your programming . I have often thought

that if I were programming a 24-hour jazz station, that I would have a spot

in my clock for recent (past few years) CDs that were in our heavy or

medium rotations at that time - these recordings deserve to be revisited,

and not forgotten!  it is very easy to lapse into a formula of featuring

brand new releases along with jazz classics. I would say to revisit your

(and other stations that you respect) old playlists during that time

period, to remind yourself as to what was 'hot' at the time.

With programmers like you, the light is on.

Brad>>>>

I am in total agreement with Brad, as a predominant jazz formatted station, our policy is to play CURRENTS alongside the classics, those of recent vintage(recurrents) and the recordings of the past 2o some odd years as we were founded in 1985. 2011 has been a great year for 1970s music due to the 40th Anniversary of CTI and their re-issuing of albums throughout the year. Moreover, we also include as part of our daily mix-as we do with trios, big bands, vocals et al, Latin and Brazilian jazz. With no personal offense intended, it's difficult for me to validate any "best of jazz" list, of any era, that doesn't include any Latino or Brasileiro jazz.

Linda: I know WEMU incorporates percussive jazz in their mix as well as having a specialty show for them. The 1980s and '90s were productive years for Latin and Brazilian.  Just about any Tito Puente Latin Jazz Ensemble date on Concord is very good, Poncho's group as well, plus Hilton Ruiz on Novus(with the late Sam Rivers), Ft Apache Band sessions, Calle 54, Chucho Valdés, Chico O'Farrill, Conrad Herwig's Latin Side of 'Trane is an all time top ten Latin album. Claudio Roditi, Paquito, Arturo Sandoval, Joao Donato, Hendrik Meurkens, Nilson Matta etc all released superb Cds in the 80s and 90s

Keeps smilin' and swingin'

Arturo Gómez
Music Director
The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station