[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Enoch Smith, Jr. & Sam Rivers (1923-2011)

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Fri Dec 30 14:07:50 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at http://bit.ly/sTVp6D

...or read the text below:

Dec. 30, 2011

Hello friends – Wishing you a great 2012!

Sam Rivers: Saxophonist Sam Rivers died the day after Christmas. I
reposted my 2009 interview with him this week. Nate Chinen has collected
several remembrances of Rivers on his blog: http://bit.ly/tipObR

My Book: I just received another shipment of Unexpected Sunlight, so if
you've wanted to order one, now's the time. You can get your copy here:
http://jasoncrane.org/store

New Members! Thanks to the following musicians who recently became
members of The Jazz Session: Tim Hagans; Joan Stiles; Enoch Smith, Jr.

Special Membership Offer: The Jazz Session is member-supported, so if
you like what you hear, please join. The next two people who join at the
middle or top level (yearly or monthly) will receive guitarist Anthony
Wilson's new DVD/CD set Seasons. This set captures a unique live
performance by Wilson along with Steve Cardenas, Julian Lage and Chico
Pinheiro, performing on a quartet of custom guitars built by John
Monteleone. http://thejazzsession.com/join

Widget: If you add AAJ's The Jazz Session widget to your site, let me
know and I'll mention you in this newsletter. Thanks to
http://dclivemusic.com for adding it. Get the widget: http://bit.ly/o4LjvZ

Twitter: Earlier this year I was named by the LA Times as one of 25 arts
& culture people to follow on Twitter, which you can do here:
http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
THIS WEEK ON THE JAZZ SESSION
*********************************

TJS #332: Enoch Smith, Jr. Pianist Enoch Smith, Jr.’s new album is
Misfits (Music4mypeople, 2011). In this interview, Smith talks about
growing up in the church in Rochester, NY; how he’s always felt like an
outsider in the jazz world; and why he wanted his new record to get back
to basics — groove and the voice. LISTEN: http://bit.ly/uaPy1y

TJS #333: Sam Rivers (1923-2011). I’m reposting this 2009 interview with
Sam Rivers to commemorate his passing on Dec. 26, 2011. Sam Rivers is a
musical renaissance man. He’s performed in big bands, bop bands, R&B
groups, blues bands and free-jazz ensembles. Rivers is currently
composing adventurous large-ensemble music (such as is found on his 2006
CD Aurora) in an unlikely location: Orlando, Florida. In this interview,
Rivers talks about his early days in Boston; how he was recruited by
Jimi Hendrix while playing with Cecil Taylor; and how a tour with Dizzy
Gillespie led to his relocation to Florida.  LISTEN: http://bit.ly/s03WTN

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

RSS Feed: http://thejazzsession.com/feed/?category_name=podcast

iTunes: itpc://thejazzsession.com/?feed=rss2&category_name=podcast