[JPL] Special programming this week on MOJA Radio including Return To Forever IV returning!

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 00:03:00 EST 2011

Here's what's up for special programs on MOJA Radio this week!

Russ Davis
MOJA & VOA
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

Yes, it's true...Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Lenny White, who have been the "rhythm section" for every incarnation of the fusion supergroup Return to Forever, have recorded as a trio for the first time ever on an album titled "Forever" with will come our way later this year.  There are some very special guests who'll be part of that project.  You'll get all the details on that very soon. It's all part of a year-long celebration of Chick's 70th birthday this summer.  Another grand part of that celebration is the fourth incarnation of electric Return To Forever and they call it RTF IV.  Check out this video to see how the guys feel about it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_qVn6JFjbo

This time this illustrious rhythm section will add two players and you won't believe who they are...violin master JEAN-LUC PONTY and guitar master FRANK GAMBALE.  You'll find out all about this grand reunion which begins with a tour of Frank's homeland of Australia this week!  Plus there's much more in the offing on MOJA Radio so read on and come join us on The World's Modern Jazz Radio Channel for all the fun!

  MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (7-13 February 2011)

This Monday, February 7th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on one of the greatest saxophonists in jazz today, BILL EVANS two days before he turns 53 years old! You’ll hear the variety in Bill’s career including his work with Miles Davis and John McLaughlin and hear tons of his music including a rare live recording featuring Bill as a special guest of the new fusion group Vital Information.  Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place the spotlight on BILL EVANS!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, we’ll return to the site of one of the world’s great jazz festivals to hear one of the greats of jazz history in concert as we present CHICK COREA’S ELEKTRIC BAND: “TO THE STARS” LIVE IN MONTREUX 2004.  As RTF IV begins operation with their first shows of 2011, we’ll take a look back at another of Chick’s greatest bands, the group of all-stars who were his Elektric Band. They include newest RTF member, guitarist Frank Gambale, Dave Weckl, John Patitucci & Eric Marienthal who’ll take the stage in Switzerland to play one of Chick’s most adventurous projects, the album To The Stars in its entirety and you’ll hear it if you join us for CHICK COREA’S ELEKTRIC BAND: “TO THE STARS” LIVE IN MONTREUX 2004 on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 9 AM east/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM Eastern, join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.  This week we’ll spring music from 5 new releases on you including Perpetual Motion, the new CD from saxman Donny McCaslin, Amazonas from pianist Phil DeGreg,  Keys To The City, the new CD from the group New York Electric Piano, As You Like from the all-star band called BANN featuring Oz Noy and Seamus Blake on sax, and the Geoffry Keezer-Peter Sprague Band with Mill Creek Road. Then we’ll wrap if up with more from two albums we debuted earlier,  Live Adventures, from the English band Soft Machine Legacy, and Indonesian guitarist Tohpatti and his band Ethnomission on the album Save The Planet. If you want to keep up with all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s the lineup for this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

•                Donny McCaslin…L.Z.C.M…Perpetual Motion (Greenleaf Music)

•                Phil DeGreg…Pro Zeca…Amazonas (Prevenient Music)

•                Soft Machine Legacy…Gesolreut…Live Adventures (Moonjune)

•                BANN...Isotope…As You Like (Jazz Eyes)

•                Keezer-Sprague Band...India Zach…Mill Creek Road (SBE Records)

•                N Y Electric Piano...Fast Food Socrates…Keys To The City (Buffalo Puppy)

•                Tohpati Ethnomission...Save The Planet…Save The Planet (Moonjune)

•                Tohpati Ethnomission...Rain Forest…Save The Planet (Moonjune)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week as RTF IV, the fourth version of the electric incarnation of possibly the greatest of all fusion bands, embarks on another triumphant tour, we’ll present a special feature we call “RETURN TO FOREVER’S GREATEST FUSION HITS.” The love that we RTF fans have for this music and these people just won’t go away and Chick, Stanley, Lenny and all the others who’ve been a part of RTF over the years know this is true. We’ve discovered that these three masters, along with new members Jean-Luc Ponty and Frank Gambale, will be creating new music just for this lineup, but until we get those new RTF tunes we’ll just savor the great stuff from the past from albums like Light As  Feather, Where Have I Know You Before, Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy, No Mystery, Music Magic and Romantic Warrior. Listen for “RETURN TO FOREVER’S GREATEST FUSION HITS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio we’ll talk to the five MOJA greats who comprise the lineup of one of the most famous bands in history with a special we call “RETURN TO FOREVER IV TAKES OFF!” Join Russ Davis as he takes you to New York City’s Carroll Studios where he was invited to come sit in on the rehearsals for the first leg of the world tour of RTF IV, the fourth incarnation of the electric version of Return to Forever! During breaks in the action Russ had a chance to speak to Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and new members Jean-Luc Ponty and Frank Gambale about the 6 concerts between February 9th and 17th in Mr. Gambale’s home nation, Australia, where RTF IV will begin action. You’ll get the story behind how this came together and hear RTF classics and solo work from these great masters all day. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific).  “RETURN TO FOREVER IV TAKES OFF,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!