[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Bizingas & Jerome Sabbagh!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Feb 7 08:16:39 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110207_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(FEBRUARY 7, 2011) -- New members! A heartfelt "thank you" to Ted Vieira
and Amy Cervini for adding their names to the list of people pledging
their financial support to The Jazz Session. I posted the first
members-only interview this week, so if you'd like to hear it, join up!

Are YOU a member? Please support The Jazz Session's "100 By 300"
membership campaign. The goal is to reach 100 members by the 300th show.
Join today! Thanks! http://thejazzsession.com/join

Here's a poem inspired by listening to Mosaic's new Henry Threadgill
boxed set. I'll be talking about Threadgill next week with Hank
Shteamer, who wrote the liner notes for the set.

/ / /

Threadgill’s birds

an ocean of crows flows overhead
wings beating black against the coming night
I see them in small sections through
the window, missing its valance

Henry Threadgill plays the flute
and a disembodied woman’s voice is singing
notes looping around one another like
sparrows swooping after unseen bugs

/ / /

Threadgill himself was on the show in 2010:

http://thejazzsession.com/2010/04/29/the-jazz-session-164-henry-threadgill/

This week on the show: Brian Drye of Bizingas (TJS #238, Monday) &
Jerome Sabbagh (TJS #239, Thursday)

Next week: Reggie Page of No BS Brass (TJS #240, Monday) & Hank Shteamer
on Mosaic's new Henry Threadgill boxed set (TJS #241, Thursday)

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #238: Bizingas (Brian Drye). Trombonist Brian Drye leads a band of
first-call New York players on the album Bizingas (NCM East, 2010). In
this interview, Drye talks about the mischievous origins of the band’s
name; his free-form approach to structuring the music on the album; and
why he gravitates toward non-standard instrumentation. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #239: Jerome Sabbagh. Saxophonist Jerome Sabbagh teams with
guitarist Ben Monder and drummer Daniel Humair on I Will Follow You (Bee
Jazz, 2010). In this interview, Sabbagh talks about the formation of
this trio; his varying approaches to composition; and how his diverse
musical choices make him difficult to label but more content as a
player. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 2/10/11.