[JPL] WMOT goes classical

Lloyd Townsend, Jr. jazz at imaginaryrecords.com
Mon Feb 7 22:50:01 EST 2011

With only a few days' notice, WMOT Murfreesboro/Nashville, for 30+
years a full-time jazz broadcaster (recently, they'd added a few
hours of news/talk morning and evening drive) has dropped daytime
jazz programming and gone classical.  They'll keep a couple hours a
day of locally-programmed jazz, and Bob Parlocha overnights.

"...to fill the void of daytime classical music on traditional FM in
Middle Tennessee..." is the excuse/reason they came up with -- so I
guess we can "blame" local NPR affiliate WPLN for their dastardly
dumping of daytime classical programming last year in favor of news/
talk for WMOT's decision.

Middle Tennessee's jazz community is in shock, and will be in
mourning for a long time to come.

Lloyd Townsend
Prop., Imaginary Records
Nashville, TN