[JPL] WMOT Programming Changes/Pledging

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 11:00:26 EST 2011

Tom, your post made me think about pledge method and why I believe many jazz
programs are hurting or disappearing. Not referring to WMOT here because I
haven't heard them. In most of the cases it ultimately comes down to the money
raised or not...during the drives. Obviously if the music was killin with
pledges most management wouldn't want to get rid of the music. Before I explain
what I'm referring to...some brief info on my show here on WHRV FM in Norfolk.
My show airs Sunday afternoons and Mon-Thurs from 9PM-1AM. This is so you can
see the time frame I'm pledging and and as you can see... certainly not the best
hours for pledging. My show has consistently raised either the most money or
second to ATC or Morning Edition for the past 15 years...after I made some
adjustments. Morning Edition beat jazz this past fall by $350. Now consider the
audience size difference. Jazz can't compare to that in terms of numbers of
people listening but why is it raising as much money or more? ONE of the main
reasons is what I ask for.

I've listened to many stations over the years pledging. I'm talking about the
stations I've heard..online or when I'm touring. I tune in to listen to see what
others are doing. One thing I notice several stations doing is asking for the
"basic" pledge amount. We all have different levels of support. Our basic level
is $48. I hear jazz programs relentlessly asking for basic membership and when
the drive is slow it gets worse. I think that is one of the damaging things
for a jazz show to do during the drives. In a two week fundraiser you might hear
me ask for basic membership twice during the entire drive. There is a lot of
truth in you get what you ask for....more than three times. How you ask is also
important. It's true. My show has the highest per pledge amount because that's
what I focus on asking for. Also the highest number of high end contributors and
the highest number of credit card pledges...98%. Our alternative music
guy...hosts a show preceding mine...asked how did I raise so much money. I told
him it's what you focus on asking for. He focused on basic membership or the $65
pledges and that's exactly what he got. He told me that "rock folks don't have
that kind of money." Really? I told him you won't know until you ask. He started
asking and now he's getting close to jazz numbers and I'm sure will soon pass
me. His audience size is huge.

It's a simple fundamental change many stations could make that I guarantee would
help them.

Jae Sinnett
WHRV FM
Norfolk, VA