[JPL] Resend of Detroit Jazz Fest

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Tue Feb 8 14:54:54 EST 2011

Sorry about my previous post.  I thought it would have transmitted
correctly.  Here is the text of the press release:

Detroit Jazz Festival rated one of the top four jazz festivals in
national poll

In a national reader's poll recently conducted by JazzTimes, one of the
world's leading jazz publications, the Detroit Jazz Festival (DJF) was
voted one of the top four jazz festivals in North America, and is the
only completely free festival in the top four.

Detroit Jazzfest 2010

"We are honored to be in the company of such venerable institutions,
including Newport Jazz Festival, Monterey Jazz Festival and Montreal
International Jazz Festival," said Terri Pontremoli, DJF, festival
director, "but it is important to note that of the top four, Detroit is
the only one that remains free of charge."

The news of this recognition comes on the heels of a recent national
study conducted by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) on the
importance of outdoor arts festivals. As documented in this national
survey, outdoor arts festivals contribute significantly to their
community's identity, economy, civic engagement and cultural vitality.
They also depend on their local governments in important ways, and are
currently experiencing financial shortfalls.

Since DJF became an independent non-profit organization in 2006, the
festival has enjoyed a growing international reputation for its artistic
excellence. For the City of Detroit, it has garnered a $90 million
impact and attracted tourism from all over the world -- 23 percent of
the festival audience comes from out of state.

"Many cities have festivals. Fewer have world-class music festivals.
Fewer still have world-class music festivals that are free," said
Gretchen Valade, DJF Foundation, chair. "While the sagging economy over
the past few years affected all of us in the arts -- here and throughout
the country - things are improving, but it takes continued support from
our community to help keep this festival free."

Music fans are not the only segment that has taken note of the festival,
although they are beginning to show their support through memberships
and individual gifts. The festival has received several awards from
foundations, such as John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Fred A. and
Barbara M. Erb Family Foundation, The Joyce Foundation, and The Kresge
Foundation, along with government agencies such as NEA.

"Detroit Jazz Fest does so much for the image of the city," says Dr.
Stan Berry, festival board chair, DJF. "It puts us on the map, unifies
our citizens and shows Detroit as an important hub for music, and this
couldn't be possible without our community and corporate sponsors."

Click here to check out our exciting 32nd season as we bring you the
world in 2011.

The Detroit International Jazz Festival Foundation is an independent,
non-profit foundation that supports Detroit Jazz Fest jazz and
educational programs throughout the year. In 2010, the festival received
support from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Erb Foundation,
the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and the Kresge Foundation.
Sponsors include Chase, Carhartt, Absopure, Mack Avenue Records, DTE
Energy, DTE Energy Foundation, Meijer, Budweiser, Pepsi, American
Express, Delta Skymiles, Dirty Dog Jazz Café, MGM Grand Detroit, Quicken
Loans, Compuware, Eisbrenner Public Relations, Plante Moran, Damon's
Grill, Citizens Bank, Comcast, Greater Detroit Landscape Co., Great
Lakes Fireworks and Flagstar. Media sponsors include Fox 2, WEMU, WDET,
WRCJ, Jacobs Media, CJAM, Metrotimes, Jazztimes, DownBeat, Jazziz, AM
580, DBusiness, Jazzcorner.com, The Detroit Media Partnership and HOUR
Detroit Magazine. In addition, there is a growing base of individual
support. Fans are encouraged to keep the festival FREE by making
donations online throughout the year.

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations