[JPL] A-Trane Playlist January 7th 2011 - CFRO 102.7 FM Vancouver BC - Ian-Hendrickson Smith & Cory Weeds

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 02:54:13 EST 2011

*A-Trane Playlist January 7th 2011 - Ian-Hendrickson Smith*

No. * Song title * * * Artist *:* Recording * * Label * Instrumental *[MAPL]

1 * Take the A-Train * * * Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica *:* presents The
Unforgettable Sounds of Esquivel * * Tiki * yes * [----]

2 * In a Sentimental Mood * * * Duke Ellington/John Coltrane
*:*Ellington/Coltrane
* * Impulse * yes * [----]
3 * In a Sentimental Mood * * * Tim Warfield *:* Sentimental Journey *
*Criss Cross
* yes * [----]

**** Talk with Ian-Hendrickson Smith & Cory Weeds*

4 * In the Kitchen * * * The Uptown Quintet feat. Ian-Hendrickson
Smith *:*Live in New York
* * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

**** Talk with Ian-Hendrickson Smith & Cory Weeds*

5 * Big Weeds * * * Ian-Hendrickson Smith *:* Blues in the Basement *
*Cellar Live
* yes * [MAP-]

**** Talk with Ian-Hendrickson Smith & Cory Weeds*

6 * But It's Alright * * * The Night Crawlers w. Ian-Hendrickson Smith
*:*Presenting
* * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

**** Talk with Ian-Hendrickson Smith & Cory Weeds*

7 * Getting Mean, Angry, Nasty and Lowdown * * * Shirley Scott *:* Queen of
the Organ * * Impulse * yes * [----]
8 * One for Shirley * * * Tim Warfield *:* One for Shirley * * Criss Cross *yes
* [----]

9 * Universe B * * * Will Swindler's Eleventet *:* Universe B * * OA2 * yes
* [----]
10 * Dancing Sunlight * * * Christine Jensen's Jazz Orchestra *:* treelines
* * Justin Time * yes * [MAP-]
11 * Dancing in the Dark * * * Mr. Ho's Orchestrotica *:* presents The
Unforgettable Sounds of Esquivel * * Tiki * No * [----]
12 * The (One of a Kind) Shimmy * * * Either/Orchestra *:* Mood Music for
Time Travellers * * Accurate * yes * [----]
13 * Zero * * * Darcy James Argue's Secret Society *:* Infernal
Machines * *New Amsterdam
* yes * [MAP-]

14 * Distant Voices * * * Steve Smith/Richie Beirach/Billy Hart
*:*Chantal's Way
* * Double Time * yes * [MAP-]
15 * Sunday * * * October Trio/Josh Cole *:* Day In * * Cellar Live *
yes *[MAP-]
16 * They Came and Took Away Our Kittens * * * The Aeroplane Trio *:*Naranja Ha
* * Drip Audio * yes * [MAP-]
17 * America is Waiting * * * Brian Eno/David Byrne *:* My Life in the Bush
of Ghosts * * Nonesuch * No * [----]
18 * St. Elmo's Fine * * * Brian Eno *:* Before and After Science * * Virgin
* No * [----]
19 * Baby's on Fire * * * Brian Eno *:* Here Come the Warm Jets * * Virgin *No
* [----]

20 * Blues in the Basement * * * Ian-Hendrickson Smith *:* Blues in the
Basement * * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

It wasn't until it was over that I realized that this was the first show of
the new year so nice to spend it with some company. Had lots of fun with
guests *Ian-Hendrickson Smith & Cory Weeds* in the studio chatting about
their musical history and friendship and other fun in advance of their 2
night stand at the Cellar last weekend (the 7th/8th).

Their visit interrupted my (intended) first set heading to the *Shirley
Scott* track (on *Steve Kaldestad*'s recommendation) via *Eliington/Coltrane
* and some excellent tenor work from *Tim Warfield* (one of/for Shirley's
former collaborators).

Some large ensemble recordings (the universe to zero with a fleeting dance
subtheme) and some other upcoming gig features from bassist *Steve
Smith*(Cellar Jan 12th),
*Josh Cole* and the *Aeroplane Trio* (both at 1067 last weekend) and *Brian
Eno* (at the Vogue on Monday).

Took it out with the blues ...

By the way, there were some temporary linkage glitches on the CFRO website
recent and they seem to have been mostly resolved - with a few missing
episodes in December, they go pretty much all the way back to April now: [
http://www.coopradio.org/station/archives/54 ] Still not as user-friendly as
they might be, if you need any assistance drop me a line.

This Friday, my guest in the studio will be *Jesse Cahill* in advance of the
*Night Crawlers* CD release event at the Cellar this weekend Jan 14/15. I'll
also have a pair of tickets to give away to the *Charles Mingus Tribute* at
Capilano Theatre Jan 21st - better get hit in your soul ...

N.
 __________________

Contact:
Nou Dadoun