[JPL] A-Trane Playlist January 21st 2011 - CFRO 102.7 FM Vancouver BC

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 03:00:19 EST 2011

*A-Trane Playlist January 21st 2011*

No. * Song title * * * Artist *:* Recording * * Label * Instrumental *[MAPL]

1 * Take the A-Train * * * Charles Mingus w. Eric Dolphy *:* Cornell 1964 *
* Blue Note * yes * [----]

2 * Blues To Elvin * * * John Coltrane/Elvin Jones *:* Plays the Blues
* *Atlantic
* yes * [----]
3 * Happy Birthday/Sweet Mama * * * Elvin Jones *:* Live at the Lighthouse *
* Blue Note * yes * [----]

4 * My Old Flame * * * Joe Magnarelli w. Strings *:* My Old Flame * *Give at Go
* yes * [----]
5 * Modal Blues * * * Mark Sherman/Joe Magnarelli w. Joe Lovano *:* One Step
Closer * * Consolidated Artists Productions * yes * [----]
6 * Mandala * * * Joel Miller *:* Mandala * * Effendi * yes * [MAP-]

7 * Gangsterism over 10 Years * * * Jason Moran *:* Ten * * Blue Note * yes
* [----]
8 * A Song You've Heard Before * * * Rick Cutler *:* First Melancholy Then
The Night Stretch * * New Dude * yes * [----]
9 * Flying Toward the Sound * * * Geri Allen *:* Flying Toward the
Sound * *Motema Music
* yes * [----]
10 * Couches dans L'Herbe * * * Mariane Trudel/Levy Bourbonnais *:*L'Embarquee
* * independent/Effendi * yes * [MAP-]

11 * Gunslinging Bird * * * Mingus Big Band *:* Live at Jazz Standard
* *Jazz Standard
* yes * [----]
12 * Hour of the Children * * * Charles Mingus: Composer *:* Epitaph *
*Columbia
* yes * [----]
13 * Dry Cleaner From Des Moines * * * Joni Mitchell *:* Mingus * * Asylum *No
* [MAPL]
14 * Better Get Hit in Your Soul * * * Charles Mingus *:* Alternate Takes *
* Columbia * yes * [----]

15 * Frontiers in Space * * * Jane Ira Bloom *:* Wingwalker * * Outline *yes
* [----]
16 * The Bath * * * The Rent *:* Musique de Steve Lacy * * Ambiances
Magnetiques * yes * [MAP-]
17 * Last Night When We Were Young * * * Bill Charlap *:* Live at the
Village Vanguard * * Blue Note * yes * [----]
18 * Prey-Loot * * * Lucky Thompson *:* Lucky Strikes * * Prestige * yes *[----]
19 * Tricotism * * * Lucky Thompson *:* Tricotism * * Impulse * yes * [----]
20 * The Duke * * * Joe Magnarelli w. Strings *:* My Old Flame * * Give at Go *yes
* [----]

21 * Love Bowl * * * Night Crawlers with the Big Band Sound *:* Down in the
Bottom * * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

Mainly looking at concert previews and new releases - in fact I was well
into the second hour before getting out of the current weekend. Extended
version of a Mingus live performance of the theme into a preview of the *Chad
Makela/Bill Runge* feature of the classic *Elvin Jones* at the Lighthouse
(the birthday was Elvin's by the way). The Mingus was for the *Mingus
Tribute* at Capilano Theatre - the student ensembles with some wonderful
guests including Chad who tore it up before heading over to 1067 for the
late Elvin show, *Brad Turner*, *Kevin Elaschuk*, *Jared Burrows*, and a
sparkling *Goodbye Porkpie Hat* guitar duet from *Bill Coon* and *Ihor
Kukurudza*.

*Joe Magnarelli, Joel Miller, Marianne Trudel, Night Crawlers* (B3 Beatdown
& Winterruption) at the Cellar on various nights, *Bill Charlap* at Capilano
Theatre. Recent releases from *Mingus Big Band, Jane Ira Bloom, Rick Cutler,
Jason Moran*, *The Rent* and *Geri Allen*. The *Lucky Thompson* tracks had
different origins - *Prey-loot* was a tune that Bill Charlap played at his
Cap concert last year 2010 (certainly surprised me!) and *Tricotism* was
prompted by *Jodi Proznick* expressing admiration for *Oscar Pettiford* -
hey I listen too! ... N
 __________________

Contact:
Nou Dadoun