[JPL] TALKING JAZZ WITH BEN SIDRAN - 1986 interview with Wynton Marsalis (re-mixed & re-produced on soulandjazz.com)

scott at soulandjazz.com scott at soulandjazz.com
Fri Feb 11 09:28:40 EST 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran
Episode 6: Wynton Marsalis

Remixed & Produced by J. Scott Fugate

Here’s Ben’s classic interview with Wynton from 1986 – free & freshly reissued by Soulandjazz.com: http://bit.ly/i61wjV

Here’s the story: back in the mid-80’s on National Public Radio (NPR) in America, a show ran called Sidran On Record. Presented by Ben Sidran, a musician, author, lecturer and journalist, the show featured interviews with the great and the good from the world of Jazz. Miles, Dizzy, Herbie and Grover were amongst 60 interviews that ran over the course of 5 years. Many of the legends featured are sadly no longer with us, but the recordings are, and several years back Ben released these as part of a wonderful, 24 CD box set called Talking Jazz – bringing to life a golden period of entertainment and understanding as we learn about the masters, their thoughts and their works. Whilst this may seem like an advert for this prestigious box set, it isn’t really. Promise. We’ve been in touch with Ben and asked for his permission to use these interviews and create our own shows based on his works. Ben gave it two thumbs up and we’re delighted to present to you Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran, our most ambitious project to date.

Episode Six is produced by Scott Fugate, who lends his discerning ears to help produce this wonderful show about Ben’s next interviewee: Wynton Marsalis, a man whose dedication to the Jazz continuum has seen him perform as a trumpeter, composer, bandleader and music educator. Marsalis, who has won nine Grammy Awards, five of which were in consecutive years (1983–1987) also became in the 80’s the only artist ever to win Grammy Awards for both Jazz and Classical records. He has toured thirty countries on every continent except Antarctica, and sold nearly five million copies of his music. As he approaches his fiftieth birthday, his place in Jazz history is assured and in conversation with Mr. Sidran shows even over twenty years ago, why his destiny to be considered one of the greats was evident even back then.

If you fancy buying the essential box set, which includes the full sixty interviews, then here’s where you need to go: http://www.talkingjazz.com

PLAYLIST: Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran

Episode 6: Wynton Marsalis

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Wynton Marsalis: Eastman Wind Ensemble - Flight Of The Bumblebee (partial) -  Classic Wynton - 1986

Wynton Marsalis - I’m Confessing (That I Love You) (partial) - Hot House Flowers -  1984

Wynton Marsalis - Sister Cheryl (partial) - Wynton Marsalis - 1982

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers (feat. Wynton Marsalis) - Moanin’ (partial) -Round About Midnight - 1980

Wynton Marsalis - Autumn Leaves (partial) - Marsalis Standard Time: Volume I -     1987

Wynton Marsalis - Monk’s Mood (partial) - Marsalis Plays Monk: Standard Time Vol. 4 - 1999

Wynton Marsalis: English Chamber Orchestra - Bach: Brandenburg Concerto #2 In F – 3. Allegro Assai (partial) - Classic Wynton - 1986

Wynton Marsalis - Think Of One (partial) - Think Of One - 1983

Wynton Marsalis: English Chamber Orchestra - Haydn: Trumpet Concerto #1 In D – 1. Adagio (partial) - Classic Wynton - 1986

Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five - West End Blues - Ken Burns Jazz - 1928

Louis Armstrong & His Hot Seven - Potato Head Blues (partial) - Ken Burns Jazz -    1927

Louis Armstrong & His Hot Seven - Wild Man Blues (partial) - Louis Armstrong: The Hot Fives & Hot Sevens - 1927

John Coltrane - Pursuance/Part4 – Psalm (partial) - A Love Supreme - 1964

Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes - Black Codes (From The Underground) - 1985

Wynton Marsalis - Knozz-Moe-King - Think Of One - 1983

Clifford Brown - Donna Lee (partial) - Beginning & The End - 1956

Miles Davis - Boplicity (partial) - The Complete Birth of the Cool - 1957

Wynton Marsalis - Tom Cat Blues - Standard Time, Vol. 6: Mr. Jelly Lord - 1999