[JPL] Low power radio stations

Josh Woody j.woody915 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 12:05:07 EST 2011

The FCC grants licenses for its various services (full-power FM,
translators, LPFM, TV) based on application windows.  The FCC may open a
window for a service a few days, weeks or months.  The last LPFM window was
nearly ten years ago:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/lpfm/prior_lpfm_window_dates.html

The rarity of a window being opened combined with the fact that LPFM
licenses are a very limited commodity may have triggered the strong language
in the link posted by Bobby Jackson.  I believe the recent congressional
legislation changed the LPFM spacing requirements to be quite similar to
those for the FX (translator) service.  If your station has ever tried to
apply for a translator, you know how difficult that can be in some places.

Regards,
Josh

--
Josh Woody