[JPL] more jazz for Egypt

cobuchow at aol.com cobuchow at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 14:22:57 EST 2011

How about Sidney Bechet's "Egyptian Fantasy," covered recently on Allen Toussaint's wonderful "Bright Mississippi"?

I opened my program on Tuesday morning with McCoy Tyner's mesmerizing "Message from the Nile" from the 1970 Blue Note date "Extensions" ... you can't go wrong with Wayne Shorter, Gary Bartz, Alice Coltrane, Ron Carter & Elvin Jones!

Sun Ra did a lot of Egypt-themed pieces over the years, but more appropriate perhaps would be material like Sonny Rollins' "Freedom Suite" ...

Chuck Obuchowski
WWUH Jazz Music Director
West Hartford, CT