[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: No BS! Brass & Hank Shteamer on Henry Threadgill!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Feb 14 10:47:01 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110214_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(FEBRUARY 14, 2011) --  Are YOU a member? Please support The Jazz
Session's "100 By 300" membership campaign. The goal is to reach 100
members by the 300th show. Join today! Thanks!
http://thejazzsession.com/join

Dave Bonta's platonic podcast: The poet and podcaster Dave Bonta put
together a Valentine's Day podcast focusing on platonic love. I
contributed an audio piece. Here a link to Dave's site:

http://www.vianegativa.us/?p=10577

I don't often take part in Internet memes, but Jill Knapp from the
Industrial Jazz Group posted one on her blog that I liked. Here's my
entry for day one of the Ten Things meme:

http://jasoncrane.org/2011/02/10/10-things-day-one-ten-things-you-want-to-say-to-ten-different-people-right-now/

As of today, you'll find days one through five on my blog.

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/jasondcrane

This week on the show: Reggie Pace of No BS Brass (TJS #240, Monday) &
Hank Shteamer on Mosaic's new Henry Threadgill boxed set (TJS #241,
Thursday).

Next week: Ralph Bowen (TJS #242, Monday) & Grant Stewart returns for
The Jazz Session's fourth anniversary show! (TJS #244, Thursday).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #240: No BS! Brass (Reggie Pace). No BS! Brass hails from Richmond,
VA, and they don't sound like any brass band you've ever heard. Their
new album, No BS! (2010), features their special blend on horns, funk
and metal attitude. In this interview, co-founder Reggie Pace talks
about the birth of the band; his own growth as an arranger and writer
over the course of the band’s three albums; and the burgeoning music
scene in Richmond. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #241: Hank Shteamer on Henry Threadgill. Music writer and musician
Hank Shteamer talks about Mosaic’s new Henry Threadgill boxed set, The
Complete Novus & Columbia Recordings of Henry Threadgill & Air, for
which Shteamer wrote the liner notes. In this interview, Shteamer talks
about the two-decade period covered by the set; the amazing variety of
Threadgill’s bands and compositions; Threadgill’s infectious humor; and
how Threadgill differs from other musical iconoclasts. SHOW AVAILABLE
STARTING 2/17/11.

Note 1: Henry Threadgill's appearance on The Jazz Session:
http://thejazzsession.com/2010/04/29/the-jazz-session-164-henry-threadgill/

Note 2: A poem inspired by the boxed set:
http://jasoncrane.org/2011/01/31/poem-threadgills-birds/