Fw: Re: [JPL] Esperanza Spaulding

Harry Velleman jazzdr at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 14 13:25:09 EST 2011

Verzonden vanaf Harrys Mobile

-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------
Onderwerp: Re: [JPL] Esperanza Spaulding
Van: Lazaro Vega <wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com>
Aan: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com

**** Follow us at twitter.com/jazzweek ****

She's written some hip songs, both lyrically and musically, in which,
in a nice change for jazz, she's acting her age -- her language and
rhythms come out of a universalist melange of influences unique to her
time and experience (which is one reason her Body and Soul in Spanish
was something we played often on the air). She has her own sound,
plays with great tone production with a bow, but is still viewed in
the world of jazz as talented by kind of light weight. I'll generally
steer people towards Joe Lovano's US five when those criticisms come
up and point up her age and the developing nature. Last night was a
good surprise.