[JPL] R.I.P. George Shearing

Paul Combs pcomb at comcast.net
Mon Feb 14 20:21:09 EST 2011

Shearing was also an astute arranger. He did not do much large ensemble
work after he came to the US, buthe did create arrangements for the Ted
Heath band in the '40s. He also brought this sensibility to his combo
work. Last night my band played an orchestration of something he
arranged for his trio when Neil Swainson was playing bass for him. Neil
brought the idea with him to the Rob McConnell Dectet and Rob wrote a
lovely orchestrated version of it. It is on one of Rob's CDs (sorry I
don't have it handy ant the moment)

Paul