[JPL] gospel songs and spirituals by jazz musicians

Bobby Jackson ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 16 10:23:55 EST 2011

Eric Reed is another great repository of gospel music.  I've always loved 2010 NEA Jazz Master Hubert Laws' rendition of Amazing Grace.  Ron Carter's "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" is another favorite.  Stanley Turrentine's "I Told
Jesus".    Ramsey Lewis' "Wade In The Water"  There is also a big band in New England that does a masterful version of Wade In The Water lead by an African American.  I can't think of his name at the moment but needed to mention it because of the clapping that happens at the beginning of it.  Brings you right back to "chuch" if you grew up in an African-American church.  Not even scratchin' the surface here.......

Bobby Jackson
THE JAZZ MIND
ftapache1 at sbcglobal.net