[JPL] gospel songs and spirituals by jazz musicians

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:53:23 EST 2011

It's an interesting project, Tom. I assume you're looking for specific recordings, and also not just artists or songs with gospel "flavor." For original spiritual songs, Ellington's sacred concerts and Mary Lou Williams' Mass are obvious starters. George Adams has recorded both Precious Lord and His Eye Is On The Sparrow. Grant Green"s In The Spirit, Hampton Hawes' The Sermon, anything by Kirk Whalum, Cassandra did a version of Joshua Fit de Battle, John Scofield's Pietry Street, Sister Rosetta Tharpe's recordings with Lucky Millender, Marion Williams' recordings with Milt Jackson and Ray Brown, Don Shirley made a record of spirituals, Fontella Bass, Hank Jones and Charlie Haden's Steal Away...

Lots more suggestion when I'm at home.

Larry