[JPL] gospel songs and spirituals by jazz musicians

eric jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 10:54:32 EST 2011

On 02/16/2011 10:23 AM, Bobby Jackson wrote:

> Eric Reed is another great repository of gospel music.  I've always loved 2010 NEA Jazz Master Hubert Laws' rendition of Amazing Grace.  Ron Carter's "Just a Closer Walk With Thee" is another favorite.  Stanley Turrentine's "I Told
> Jesus".    Ramsey Lewis' "Wade In The Water"  There is also a big band in New England that does a masterful version of Wade In The Water lead by an African American.  I can't think of his name at the moment but needed to mention it because of the clapping that happens at the beginning of it.  Brings you right back to "chuch" if you grew up in an African-American church.  Not even scratchin' the surface here.......

That's the Kendrick Oliver Band. Christian McBride is on Wade in the
Water. There are some other spirituals on that same CD. Kendricks has
done several concerts called Jazz Goes To Church where he performs music
from the church. He got that title from me. I do a show every year
called Jazz Goes To Church. I did one a few weeks ago. It's archived on
our website. I have a small database of music like that now but I had a
larger one that I lost during a computer crash.

Grant Green
Johnny Griffin
Gene Ammons
Russell Malone