[JPL] Can Jazz Matter? The NEA and the Jazz Masters Awards

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 11:57:17 EST 2011

"In light of the recent decision to eliminate the National Endowment for
the Arts Jazz Masters Awards, I’m sharing an interview I did with Dana
Gioia, previous Chairman of the NEA who during his term expanded the
Jazz Masters Awards.  Chairman Gioia was a guest on my radio program one
 night during which he played some of his favorite recordings and talked
 about his love of jazz. This interview originally appeared in the
November 2004 issue of JazzTimes under the title “Dana Gioia and the
National Endowment for the Arts: Can Jazz Matter?"...

http://larryappelbaum.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/can-jazz-matter-dana-gioia-on-jazz-and-the-nea/