[JPL] gospel songs and spirituals by jazz musicians

eric jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 16:37:38 EST 2011

On 02/17/2011 03:37 PM, J. Sintetos wrote:

> I just played a track from Wycliffe Gordon and the Garden City Gospel
> Choir ("In the Cross", Criss Cross Records) this morning. All spirtuals.
> Highly recomended.

It is a very nice album but it is not just spirituals. Spirituals are a
particular kind of religious music. Five or six of the tunes on the CD
were written by Wycliffe. They definitely aren't spirituals although
they do have religiously inspired titles. There are several spirituals,
several gospel tunes and at least one hymn, if I remember correctly.

Thomas A Dorsey's tune Peace In The Valley is on the CD although under
composer it says "Traditional." Dorsey is called the Father of Gospel
Music and I think many people know that this is his composition and not
a spiritual. My guess is that somebody in your audience might know so I
assume you wouldn't want to say the wrong thing.

Spirituals actually started out being performed without instrumental
accompaniment in the 18th century. Not until early in the 20th century
were they combined with the piano. Gospel music was a style Dorsey
created by bringing his blues background into the music of the church.
He also brought the rhythmic excitement of blues to the church against
much opposition.

Since that point, the spirituals (and hymns) have been performed in a
gospel style but they are not the same thing.

Eric Jackson
WGBH Boston
Mon -Thurs 8 PM - Mid
Sunday 10 PM - Mid.