[JPL] Can Jazz Matter? The NEA and the Jazz Masters Awards

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:01:55 EST 2011

The government is currently operating under a continuing resolution pending the passing of the budget. Indeed, this move toward elimination of the Jazz Masters Award (as well as the Opera Awards) is based upon the President's submitted budget. In response, the NEA itself is planning to restructure the awards they are offering, consolidating them under an umbrella of NEA American Artists of the Year. I somehow doubt that the newly elected congress, especially those pushing very hard to slash government spending and eliminate the NEA altogether, will inclined to give President Obama more than he is asking for.

Larry