[JPL] Can Jazz Matter? The NEA and the Jazz Masters Awards

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 17 19:22:09 EST 2011

Russ,
just north of the border....

I've been working with artists for years.
Some of the financial support that I've accessed
for artists:

Canada Council:
recording projects (cancelled by the government last year which caused
    a major flap up here)
touring - domestic  -
touring - international
study grants for artists (knock on every second door in Brooklyn
    and a Canadian jazz musician may be lurking)
management grants - for artists to pay managers, do web pages
composition commissioning grants
special presentation projects
travelling to showcases
  and a   parallel program for Aboriginal artists

The CC also has supported festivals with support, although that
program has been suspended by the government.  There is a pattern
emerging here.

I did a flamenco tour a few years ago, and that was assisted
by the dance component of the Canada Council

FACTOR (Foundation to Assist Canadian Talent on Record)
recording project assistance
touring - national and international
marketing assistance
record label
emerging artists programs
showcase travel support
(and a parallel program for Quebec (French) artists)

there are a number of provincial programs that operate in
conjuction with FACTOR

SOCAN - our performing rights organization helps with
showcase travel support and other things.

Most of these are "juried" by peers.

The Netherlands is a country that works hard supporting
their artists. I worked with them on a tour that had both
Dutch and Canadian artists.

Germany through the Goethe institute.  Australia supports
through the Australian council. Worked on some of those too.

My only concern is that a lot of great projects don't get done
because they may not get support for their applications.  There
is a certain amount of overdependence on financial support that
I see.

Maurice Hogue
CKUW Winnipeg