[JPL] gospel songs and spirituals by jazz musicians

Derrick Lucas derrick at jazz901.org
Fri Feb 18 10:38:52 EST 2011

Here are some of my favorites

Alice Coltrane-This Train, Walk With Me-Translinear Light

Charles Lloyd-The Water Is Wide, There Is a Balm In Gilead-Water is Wide

Dirty Dozen Brass Band-Funeral For a Friend (entire cd is a New
Orleans "homegoing" service)

Donald Byrd-I'm Trying To Get Home  LP

Dr.Michael White-Down By The Riverside-Dancing In The Sky

Dr.Michael White-Will The Circle Be Unbroken-Blue Crescent

Duke Ellington's Sacred Concerts

George Adams-Don Pullen-His Eye Is On The Sparrow-Decesions

Houston Person-The Gospel Soul of Houston Person

Max Roach & The J.C. White Singers-Lift Every Voice and Sing (Entire lp
dedicated to gospels and spirituals)

Max Roach f/Andy Bey-Member's Don't Get Weary-Member's Don't Get Weary

Michael White-Blessing Song-Pneuma

Preservation Hall-Old Rugged Cross, There Is a Light-Preservation

Preservation Hall-What a Friend (We Have In Jesus)-New Orleans Preservation
Vol. 1”

Rahsaan Roland Kirk-Old Rugged Cross

Ramsey Lewis-Wade In The Water

Rebirth Brass Band-Glory Glory-We Come to Party

Sarah Vaughn-A Closer Walk With Thee-Jazzfest Masters

Stanley Turrentine-I Told Jesus-Salt Song

Thelonious Monk-Abide With Me-Monk's Music