[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Nicholas Urie & Anthony Brown

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Feb 28 07:19:59 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110228_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(FEBRUARY 28, 2011) -- OK, folks, time for some tough love. I need to
get to 100 members by the 300th show. I’m now at 22 members with 56
shows left. That means I need a bit more than one member per show from
here on out to make my goal. Please help me to continue the show by
becoming a member!  Join today: http://thejazzsession.com/join

I moved to New York yesterday and have already seen two fun shows. First
was the Electric Choro Band with my friend James Shipp at Barbes.
Really, really good music. It was their debut and I’ll be back for more.
Then I went to see the Dymaxion Quartet with Gabriel Gloege as part of
the Readin’ N Rhythm series at Union Hall. The highlight of the show for
me was their debut performance of a musical setting of one of my poems.
How’s that for a welcome to town? Both Shipp and Gloege have been my
guests on The Jazz Session. You’ll find their interviews in the
archives. And here are photos from the shows: http://bit.ly/gzaaxP

Right before I moved I shot a short video called “Poetry Cribz” – an
exclusive look inside the home of an unknown poet. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtOScPieS8k

I still need a job in radio, PR, advertising, communications or modern
dance. Got one? Here’s my resume:
http://jasoncrane.org/images/Jason_Crane_resume.pdf

My abandoned memoir continues on my blog:
http://jasoncrane.org

This week on the show: Nicholas Urie (TJS #244, Monday) & Anthony Brown
(TJS #245, Thursday).

Next week: Scott McLemore (TJS #246, Monday) & Sarah Manning (TJS #247,
Thursday).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #244: Nicholas Urie. Nicholas Urie’s new album, My Garden (Red Piano
Records, 2011), features his settings of the poems of Charles Bukowski.
In this interview, Urie talks about his identification with Bukowski,
who, like Urie, spent much of his life in Los Angeles; the challenges of
setting Bukowski’s non-lyrical poems; and the even greater challenge of
getting the rights to use Bukowski’s work in the first place. SHOW
AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #245: Anthony Brown. Anthony Brown’s Asian American Orchestra uses
instruments from around the world to put a unique spin on two Coltrane
classics on their new album, India & Africa (Water Baby Records, 2010).
In this interview, Brown gives an overview of the Asian-American jazz
movement and its origins in Bay-area protests; discusses the challenges
and opportunities of using non-Western instruments in a jazz setting;
and talks about what inspired him to focus on John Coltrane’s music for
this album. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 3/3/11.

--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session

You can also read my poems at: