[JPL] The first week of 2011 on MOJA Radio featuring John McLaughlin, Mike Stern, Al Di Meola & more!

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 19:56:52 EST 2011

We've got some great guitar stuff coming up in the first week of 2011 as we celebrate the birthdays of John McLaughlin & Mike Stern and some rare, new stuff from the great Al Di Meola too!

Russ Davis
MOJA & VOA
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (3-9 January 2011)

This Monday, January 3rd, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This Monday we’ll feature an hour of one of the great living masters of modern jazz guitar, JOHN McLAUGHLIN! Just one day before his 69th birthday you’ll hear the musical variety of one of the most versatile players of all time as he plays with Miles Davis, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Shakti, solo and in All-Star groups.  Plus you’ll hear the comments of two great artists, Bill Evans and Stanley Clarke, who’ve worked with John as they give us their insight into one of the greats of all time. Listen Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific as we place our MOJA spotlight on and wish a very happy birthday to the great JOHN McLAUGHLIN!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, since Mike Stern celebrates his 58th birthday on Monday the 10th, we’ll take you to Paris to enjoy THE MIKE STERN BAND LIVE @ THE NEW MORNING.  It’s Mike on guitar with Dave Weckl on drums, Tom Kennedy on bass and Bob Franceschini on sax in front of a roaring crowd at the popular jazz club in Paris, The New Morning on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 9 AM east/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM Eastern, join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.  This week we’ll hit the ground running in 2011 with a MOJA Radio exclusive…an advance cut from the forthcoming Al Di Meola CD called Pursuit Of Radical Rhapsody. It won’t be out until March but we’ll treat you to a tune thanks to Al himself. Then we’ll hear a New York-area group called Moon Hotel Lounge Project led by saxophonist Tom Moon and our first discovery of the new year titled Into The Ojala. It’s a great blend of electric and acoustic, well-played with some very inventive writing.  You’ll hear veteran guitarist Jeff Richman and some special guests like Larry Goldings, Mitchell Forman, The Yellowjackets’ drummer William Kennedy and others on his great new album of new fusion titled Like That. Then we’ll top it off with the new live CD by the band from The Netherlands who just attack the stage when they play and prove it on the album New Cool Collective In Concert. It’s an import we sought out and it’s well worth the search as the guys serve up their unique blend of funk, afro-beat, boogaloo, latin and more. If you want to keep up with all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s what you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Al Di Meola...Siberiana…Pursuit Of Radical Rhapsody (Telarc)
·       New Cool Collective...Perry…In Concert (Dox Records)
·       Jeff Richman...Rock Tall…Like That (Nefer Records)
·       Jeff Richman...In Flux…Like That (Nefer Records)
·       Moon Hotel Lounge Project...Rumi We’re Losing…Into The Ojala (Frosty Cordial)
·       Moon Hotel Lounge Project...What You Had When You Knew You Believed…Into The Ojala (Frosty Cordial)
·       New Cool Collective...Ms. Wilson…In Concert (Dox Records)
·       New Cool Collective...Chevere…In Concert (Dox Records)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll focus on two of the Lords of Fusion as we give you THE GREATEST FUSION HITS OF JOHN McLAUGHLIN this on week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION. As this great master celebrates his 69th birthday on the 4th of January we’ll celebrate his incredible accomplishments during the fusion era as we hear McLaughlin solo as well as with Miles Davis, The Mahavishnu  Orchestra, Shakti, The Trio of Doom and others.  It’s THE GREATEST FUSION HITS OF JOHN McLAUGHLIN on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

If you didn’t go to enough parties over the holidays then join us for another this Saturday as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “JOHN McLAUGHLIN & MIKE STERN: GUITAR GREATS…BIRTHDAY BOYS!” Seldom do you have two incredible musicians of this stature celebrating birthdays within 6 days of one another but with John McLaughlin’s 69th birthday falling on January 4th and Mike Stern celebrating his 58th on January 10th it gives us a chance to share some of the great conversations we’ve enjoyed with these two MOJA greats over the years as well as their award-winning music.  Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Come celebrate with us as we present “JOHN McLAUGHLIN & MIKE STERN: GUITAR GREATS…BIRTHDAY BOYS,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!