[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Mark Miller on Herbie Nichols, and Mina Cho!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Jan 3 09:58:44 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter (with pictures!) at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110103_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(JANUARY 3, 2011) -- Are YOU a member? Please support The Jazz Session's
"100 By 300" membership campaign. The goal is to reach 100 members by
the 300th show. I'm more than 10% of the way there. Join today! Thanks!
http://thejazzsession.com/join

This week I'm the featured poet at historic Caffe Lena in Saratoga
Springs, NY. The event (which includes an open mic) takes place on
Wednesday, January 5 at 7:30 p.m. If you're in the Albany/Saratoga
Springs area, please come out and support live local poetry. You can see
examples of my work at http://jasoncrane.org.

As I mentioned last week, I've finally decided to move to New York City.
To make that a reality, I need a job. If you're looking for a creative
communicator whose main talent is convincing people to do things, please
let me know. I've got years of experience in radio, public relations,
and non-profit management and development. Here's my resume:

http://jasoncrane.org/images/Jason_Crane_resume.pdf

You may remember that my first book of poems came out earlier this year.
Unexpected Sunlight was published by FootHills Publishing and it's
available at:
http://jasoncrane.org/store.

This week on the show: Mark Miller on Herbie Nichols (TJS #228, Monday)
& Mina Cho (TJS #229, Thursday.)

Next week: Locksmith Isadore's Jason Stein and ... someone else.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #228: Mark Miller on Herbie Nichols. Herbie Nichols would have been
92 years old today. The pianist is the subject of a new biography —
Herbie Nichols: A Jazzist’s Life by Mark Miller. In this interview,
Miller talks about why Nichols failed to become known during his
lifetime; why Nichols is often labeled an acolyte of Thelonious Monk;
and how Miller came to write the book in the first place.  SHOW
AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #229: Mina Cho. Mina Cho grew up in Korea playing classical music
and American gospel. A chance meeting with a Berklee grad sent her to
Boston where she studied South American folk music. Her new album,
Originality (Mina Cho Music, 2010), combines all those influences and
more. In this interview, Cho discusses her uncommon background; her
studies with composer Leo Blanco; and why gospel music is so important
to her. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 1/6/11.

--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session