[JPL] Media/Wynton

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 11:42:50 EST 2011

Hi folks. This post might surprise some coming from me because I've always been
supportive of what Wynton has been trying to do with the music. That said, it's
really not about him but the media. The 60 Minutes feature on Wynton was very
cool but I have to say...enough is enough. I'm a fan...believe me... and I think
that having someone in a high profile position speaking about jazz in prime time
media...electronic or print...is a very good thing for jazz. It is but it's
really time for us to say it's a better thing for the artist being featured. It
does little or nothing for other jazz artists out here trying to make it and get
exposure for THEIR work and opinions...consequently...not doing much to help
jazz in general. I'm not blaming Wynton but it's so one dimensional now it's
silly. It's time main stream media recognizes there are more creative,
articulate and informative jazz artists out here that can play, teach and
deliver a message to the masses that brings fresh perspectives...at least to
their ears...to the jazz table other than WyntonMarsalis. It's like what I said
in a earlier post about the rich getting richer. The media gave him a platform
to develop HIS brand on jazz...and left it at that. It's myopic thinking of a
considerably bigger picture. It's been a debate in the jazz community for years
I know but after the 60 Minutes piece...enough. I'm not sure what the jazz
community can do but it's time to speak up and challenge the basic fairness of
the relentless coverage of one artist over hundreds more.

Jae Sinnett