[JPL] Media/Wynton

Lois Gilbert jazz at jazzcorner.com
Mon Jan 3 20:36:22 EST 2011

I don't disagree with you Jae, but the fact is when you have the kind of
machinery and media access and money to which runs that machinery it's hard
to compete. You're also right that folks watching will not remember Ted
Nash's name from watching the program.

The journey I went on with Arturo O'Farrill and the Chico O'Farrill Afro
Cuban Jazz Orchestra was very, very different and make a much more poignant
story (there was a documentary crew with us) and Arturo (in my estimation)
as great spokesman if not better than Wynton especially when it comes to
AfroCuban music and his journey was one of going home with his family and
his heritage. The descarga he premiered with Chucho playing piano along with
his sons and your Cuban musicians is called, "Fathers and Sons: From Havana
to New York and Back." For Arturo this was not about a quick hit to Cuba to
be cool, but begin establishing a dialogue between Cuban and American
musicians and to interact. We have so much to learn from their music.

Perhaps the greatest difference is Arturo went down with only an agenda of
communicating and sharing and learning as well as fulfilling a dream of
his father's and subsquently his.

He articulates it very well in our preview: http://jazzcorner.com/innerviews
Unfortunately we weren't able to debrief daily as we hoped so I'm going
through the hours of tapes and deciding if we'll make this a one hour
special or a series.

A couple of other differences, Arturo and the orchestra had to raise the
money to go to Cuba with a public appeal. I should not that Wynton was among
the musicians who supported his trip.

Did it bug anyone else, when Wynton showed how they play clavé in New
Orleans?

Aché
Lois Gilbert
jazzcorner.com