[JPL] Playlist-Billy Taylor, Charles Fambrough, Milt Jackson for Monday, 01/03/11 By George Thomas

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Mon Jan 3 23:14:06 EST 2011

Billy Taylor, Charles Fambrough, Milt Jackson for Monday, 01/03/11 By
George Thomas

Happy New Year! I hope you'll take a moment in 2011 to go to vpr.net,
click on "Contact VPR" and make a jazz request or give feedback on the
Jazz show. We celebrate the life of two jazz musicians of note who passed
during this last week, educator, DJ & pianist Billy Taylor and bassist
Charles Fambrough. Happy Birthday to  Milt Jackson.

Playlist

9:00pm
More Than You Know
Artist Name 	Billy Taylor
Composer 	Youmans-Rose-Eliscu
Soloists 	Billy Taylor-Piano
CD/Album 	Solo
Record co./Cat # 	Taylor-Made Recordings 1002
Release Year 	1988
Note 	R.I.P. Billy Taylor 12.28.10

9:09pm
I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free
Artist Name 	Nina Simone
Composer 	Billy Taylor
Soloists 	Nina Simone-Vocals, Piano
CD/Album 	Silk And Soul
Record co./Cat # 	RCA/Legacy 73335 2
Release Year 	1967
Note 	R.I.P. Billy Taylor 12.28.10

9:12pm
In Walked Bud
Artist Name 	Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
Composer 	Thelonious Monk
Soloists 	Charles Fambrough-Bass ; Wynton Marsalis-Trumpet ; Branford
Marsalis-Tenor Sax ; Bill Pierce-Tenor Sax ; Donald Brown-Piano ; Art
Blakey-Drums
CD/Album 	The Best Of
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 4495
Release Year 	1982
Note 	R.I.P. Charles Fambrough 1.1.11

9:22pm
My Romance
Artist Name 	The Billy Taylor Trio
Composer 	Rodgers & Hart
Soloists 	Billy Taylor-Piano ; Victor Gaskin-Bass ; Bobby Thomas-Drums
CD/Album 	White Nights And Jazz In Leningrad
Record co./Cat # 	Taylor-Made Recordings 1001
Release Year 	1988
Note 	R.I.P. Billy Taylor 12.28.10

9:31pm
The Maestro
Artist Name 	Abbey Lincoln
Composer 	Cedar Walton
Soloists 	Abbey Lincoln-Vocals ; Kenny Barron-Piano
CD/Album 	It's Me
Record co./Cat # 	Verve B0001268-02
Release Year 	2003
Note 	Listener Request

9:36pm
Gemini
Artist Name 	Milt Jackson Quintet
Composer 	Jimmy Heath
Soloists 	Milt Jackson-Vibes ; Jimmy Heath-Tenor Sax ; Hank Jones-Piano
CD/Album 	Live At The Village Gate
Record co./Cat # 	Riverside 9478
Release Year 	1963
Note 	Listener Request

9:48pm
Sermonette
Artist Name 	Quincy Jones
Composer 	Julian Adderley
Soloists 	Lucky Thompson-Tenor Sax ; Charles Mingus-Bass ; Hank
Jones-Piano ; Milt Jackson-Vibes
CD/Album 	This Is How I Feel About Jazz
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! 115-2
Release Year 	1956

9:54pm
A Sleepin' Bee
Artist Name 	Quincy Jones
Composer 	Arlen, Capote
Soloists 	Billy Taylor-Piano ; Herbie Mann-Flute ; Charles Mingus-Bass
CD/Album 	This Is How I Feel About Jazz
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! 115-2
Release Year 	1956
Note 	R.I.P. Billy Taylor 12.28.10

10:00pm
Old Man Jazz
Artist Name 	James Van Buren and The Group with special guest Richie Cole
Composer 	Jack Segal
Soloists 	James Van Buren-Vocals ; Richie Cole-Alto Sax ; Eris Gunnison-Piano
CD/Album 	Live At The Kasbah
Record co./Cat # 	www.jamesvanburen.com
Release Year 	2004

10:07pm
Alll Blues
Artist Name 	Charles Fambrough
Composer 	Miles Davis
Soloists 	Charles Fambrough-Bass ; Bill O'Connell-Piano ; Sean
Jones-Trumpet ; Joe Ford-Soprano Sax
CD/Album 	Live @ Zanzibar Blue
Record co./Cat # 	Random Chance Records 6
Release Year 	2002
Note 	R.I.P. Charles Fambrough 1.1.11

10:14pm
Nice Work If You Can Get It
Artist Name 	Jonathan Kreisberg
Composer 	George Gershwin
Soloists 	Jonathan Kreisberg-Guitar
CD/Album 	Shadowless
Record co./Cat # 	New For Now Music 002
Release Year 	2011
Note 	New

10:23pm
Things Are Getting Better
Artist Name 	Milt Jackson
Composer 	Julian Adderley
Soloists 	Milt Jackson-Vibes ; Cannonball Adderley-Alto Sax ; Wynton
Kelly-Piano
CD/Album 	To Bags...With Love - Memorial Album
Record co./Cat # 	Pablo 2310-967-2
Release Year 	1958
Note 	Listener Request

10:30pm
Close Your Eyes
Artist Name 	Bob Sheppard
Composer 	Bernice Petkere
Soloists 	Bob Sheppard-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Close Your Eyes
Record co./Cat # 	BFMJazz.com 302 062 404-2
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:36pm
You And The Night And The Music
Artist Name 	Jeff "Tain" Watts
Composer 	Howard Deitz & Arthur Schwartz
Soloists 	Jeff "Tain" Watts-Drums ; Charles Fambrough-Bass ; Kenny
Kirkland-Piano
CD/Album 	Megawatts
Record co./Cat # 	Sunnyside 1128
Release Year 	2004
Note 	R.I.P. Charles Fambrough 1.1.11

10:44pm
Webb City
Artist Name 	Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
Composer 	Bud Powell
Soloists 	Charles Fambrough-Bass ; Art Blakey-Drums ; Wynton
Marsalis-Trumpet ; Bobby Watson-Alto Sax
CD/Album 	In Sweden
Record co./Cat # 	Evidence 22044-2
Release Year 	1981
Note 	R.I.P. Charles Fambrough 1.1.11

10:56pm
Evidence
Artist Name 	Milt Jackson
Composer 	Thelonious Monk
Soloists 	Milt Jackson-Vibes ; Thelonious Monk-Piano
CD/Album 	Milt Jackson
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 7 81509-2
Release Year 	1948
Note 	Birthday: Milt Jackson 1.1.1923

--
Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas