[JPL] Jazz Video - Jazz Radio?

Freeman Mike mike at jazzvibe.com
Tue Jan 4 13:35:40 EST 2011

Hello Kevin and group, Happy New year!

I noticed this post mentioning crowd-funding in part because ZonaVibe
is currently running a campaign over on Kickstarter http://kck.st/hPF46K

After working the project for the past several weeks, I can say that
rallying the troops for fund raising is a lot of work! I now have a
sense of what public radio stations go through on a regular basis. I
have noticed a number of successful recording projects on Kickstarter
including a couple by high profile jazz musicians. The question is
whether these projects would have happened regardless of this new
funding platform. In our case if the project funding is not successful
it will likely not happen any time soon. There are recordings, radio
(as well as musicians, publicists, and radio promoters) would no doubt
benefit from if artists succeed with these new kinds of funding
sources. And video is definitely a big part of motivating fan funding.

—Mike Freeman
Jazz/Latin Vibraphonist and Composer
mike at jazzvibe.com (212) 736-3961
Web site: http://www.jazzvibe.com

Kevin Wrote> I'm curious to hear your opinion on jazz video and your
thoughts about how it could help jazz radio directly. Swedish National
Public Radio is doing a story about it and will be interviewing
guitarist and composer Rale Micic tomorrow about his "Jazz Needs
Video" project and crowdfunding.

If you are not familiar about this project you can visit http://rockethub.com/projects/682-jazz-needs-video-serbology-by-rale-micic

thanks,
Kevin