[JPL] A DMCA question...

Bill Barton seekandlisten at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 15:18:14 EST 2011

As I recall, I've asked this question on the list before, but never received
much feedback.

Recently there have been a number of playlists posted that feature an artist
in-depth; in one case the entire show was dedicated to that one artist.  How
is it possible to do this these days?  I've been informed in no uncertain
terms by the PD at KBCS that I can't do this, period.  For years I did an
annual "Bright Moments" tribute to Rahsaan Roland Kirk featuring his music
exclusively.  I've had to change the format.

I'm a volunteer, not part of station management, so I'm not "in tune" with
all of the technical/legal stuff involved.  If a station does not stream to
the web and is broadcast only does this make a difference?  How is WKCR able
to continue to do their "marathons" of everything an artist has recorded?
Is it political connections?  Or "deep pockets" and being able to risk a
fine?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to everyone here.

Bill Barton
host/producer - Bright Moments - KBCS Bellevue-Seattle 91.3 FM
co-host - Flotation Device - KBCS