[JPL] A DMCA question...

TomtheJazzman tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Tue Jan 4 19:41:07 EST 2011

It may seem useless to you but it says that your prior post of
interruption of the regulations is incorrect.  I later posted a comment
from Sound Exchange saying that their task was to follow the regulations
and not try to figure out how to get around them.

In general you are not allowed to play more than three selections by an
artist during a specified period..I think it is four hours.  Shanna
Morrison at WDUQ is the most knowledgeable radio person on this item so
maybe she will pitch in.

This all came about because many stations were FULL TRACKING a complete
release so listeners could copy the music and reduce the sales of the
music and be a negative to the artist or group.  I never personally
thought that was enough of an issue to justify the regulation.

My way of getting around the regulations, in my mind, is I have sent
notes to various labels and promotion people asking them to give me
permission to play more than the allowed number of selections to cover
myself and our station.  Also if you play something by Dr. Billy Taylor
and Marian McPartland I mention it as a Marian track so that I am within
the guidelines of three selections.

You can also do a GOOGLE Search of DCMA to be more knowledgeable of the
restrictions and guidelines.

This is one of the items we regularly visit at the Jazz Summit in
Rochester in June which is a good learning experience for radio and artists.

Hope this helps
ALOHA
Tom