[JPL] A DMCA question...

Louis Erlanger louisx at myfairpoint.net
Wed Jan 5 11:56:28 EST 2011

Thank you for this.  A couple of observations:

These rules have been created to properly compensate songwriters and artists
for their works.  I have no problem with that. As we all know, most need
every cent, and radio stations (except talk radio) wouldn't exist without
those works However, the sound quality of a lot of streaming is not up to
par with even the compromised quality of mp3s, which in turn are not up to
par with CDs. So to create rules about the number of songs from a single
artist or CD that can be played seems to be stretching the outer boundaries
of copyright law, as anyone who records these sub-par streams is not getting
a quality product. I can understand restricting podcasts, as they are often
better quality and downloadable.