[JPL] A DMCA question...

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 6 13:38:01 EST 2011

Hi, Bobb

actually, the amount of Canadian content varies according to
the type of license that a station has.  At CKUW, the required
CC percentage varies from show to show.  My jazz show and
other specialty music (world, classical) is at 15%, set by the station,
while the actual CRTC requirement is 10% for that category 3
show.   The "core" type music - rock, country, pop, alt rock --
is as high as 35%.  The show preceding mine is 30% and that's
a contemporary pop/alt pop format.

A lot of community/college stations have a good degree of flexibility
when it comes to setting limits. I guess there's a "balancing out"
factor involved.  Not so much with commercial stations I expect.

I'm sure that Nou out in Vancouver likely has different requirements
based on the kind of license that the CRTC grants.

MH