[JPL] Steve Davis bassist

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 21:55:23 EST 2011

This is from Tom Marcello (I think) over at the allaboutjazz forum:

I knew Steve Davis fairly well when he lived in Rochester, New York during
the '70's.

He mostly played Fender Bass in groups aroud town includung a band led by a
very young ( teenager) Joe Locke.

Steve was also called by his Muslim name Sayeed, and was the brother in law
of McCoy Tyner, whose wife Aisha, was sister to Steve's wife Khadija,
(remember *Calling Miss Khadija* by Lee Morgan on *Indestuctible* ?). They
were all from Philly.

By the time I met Steve in Rochester, he has already defeated his substance
problems and was a very mellow guy. Khadija was very bossy and dominant, and
she also sang a little.

Joe Locke could tell you much more, as he worked with him for quite some
time in his youth.

I don't know what happened in the end, but I believe that Steve Davis moved
back to Philly and died there in the '80's. He was a nice guy and very
humble.

*Hey Baby!*
The Jazz Brothers; Riverside, LP RLP9371 / CD 0JCCD-668-2

Gap Mangione - Piano
Chuck Mangione - Trumpet
Sal Nistico - Tenor Saxophone
*Steve Davis - Bass*
Roy McCurdy - Drums

*Nights Of Ballads And Blues* (1963)

McCoy Tyner (piano); *Steve Davis* (bass); Lex Humphries (drums)

This one by *John "Spider" Martin*, you'll never mind. This was *Joe Locke's
first recording session* in 1976:

Date: July 11, 1976
Location: P.C.I. Studios, Rochester, NY

John 'Spider' Martin (ldr), Birch Johnson (tb), Terrance Bruce (ss, as, ts),
John 'Spider' Martin (as, ts), Joe Locke (vib), Tom Rizzo (g), *Steve Davis
(eb)*, Tom Whaley (d, per)
a. I'm A, See Yah - 07:00 (John 'Spider' Martin)
b. A-Nothon, Like the Othun - 05:11 (John 'Spider' Martin)
c. Triangle - 09:37 (John 'Spider' Martin)
d. Shweet Thang - 08:45 (John 'Spider' Martin)
e. After Love - 07:12 (John 'Spider' Martin)
f. Point Of View - 07:05 (John 'Spider' Martin)
All titles on: - Edmar (Can.) LP 12": ELPS 1151 - *I'm a, See Ya*

Tom Whaley (per) on a, d only.

Joe Locke solos on tracks b, c and f.

*Birch Johnson* went on to play with Woody Herman and is now a educator in
Alabama, I believe.
*Tom Whaley* went on to play with Red Rodney/Ira Sullivan , Woody Herman and
others and now lives in the Del Water Gap, PA area.
*Spider Martin* has passed away.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Peter Solomon <psolomon at ideastations.org>wrote:

> Whatever happened to Steve Davis who played bass with trane on Favorite
> Things?

====
Nou Dadoun