[JPL] Mike Stern & George Duke B-day celebrations on MOJA Radio this week

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jan 9 20:39:27 EST 2011

Russ Davis
MOJA & VOA
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

It’s George Duke Birthday Week on MOJA Radio as we celebrate a man who not only is a great keyboardist, composer, vocalist, producer and bandleader but one who is legendary as a man who is simply one of the most positive, wise, generous and talented people jazz has ever produced.  He’s a pioneer of fusion, a master of funk and electric jazz of every form, as well as being a terrific acoustic player too.  All week long we’ll celebrate every aspect of his glorious life and career with a number of our special programs to focus on the man whose 65th birthday falls on Wednesday, January 12th…the Great George Duke! Read on for all the info!

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (10-16 January 2010)

This Monday, January 10th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on the guitarist that Downbeat Magazine included in the top 75 guitarists in all of jazz history, the great MIKE STERN, on the day of his 58th birthday! You’ll hear the music and the stories behind the man who’s worked with Miles Davis, Billy Cobham, The Brecker Brothers, Steps Ahead, The Yellowjackets, Pat Martino and others.  Along with some of those collaborations you’ll hear his solo work, get his Miles Davis story and the 411 behind how he creates his unique, signature guitar sound. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great MIKE STERN!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, since the great George Duke celebrates his 65th birthday on Wednesday the 12th of January, we’ll present some of George’s most famous live performances as we present GEORGE DUKE ON STAGE.  You’ll hear George on stage with Frank Zappa, George in Los Angeles with Jean-Luc Ponty, George in Montreux, Switzerland with Billy Cobham and leading his own band in Tokyo in 1983. It’s GEORGE DUKE ON STAGE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 9 AM east/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM Eastern, join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.  This week we’ll hear four new releases including a CD simply called The DeFrancesco Brothers. Yes, it’s organist Joey and brother Johnny on guitar and this one grooves from beginning to end. Then we’ll hear a New York-area guitarist Jonathan Kreisberg and some great dialogue with saxman Will Vinson on the CD titled Shadowless. Los Angeles-based veteran Bob Sheppard and very special guests like Alan Pasqua, Alex Sipiagen and Antonio Sanchez mix swing and new groove on his great new album titled Close Your Eyes. Bassist Kermit Driscoll from the New York area invited guitarist Bill Frisell and drummer Vinnie Coliauta to join him in the studio and he let’s Mr. Frisell go wild with some great twang and buzz. Then we’ll top it off with more from the album we debuted last week, the new live CD New Cool Collective In Concert. It’s an import we sought out and it’s filled with their unique blend of funk, afro-beat, boogaloo, latin and more. If you want to keep up with all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s what you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       DeFrancesco Brothers...Drill Motor…DeFrancesco Brothers (VectorDisc)
·       DeFrancesco Brothers...What Oh…DeFrancesco Brothers (VectorDisc)
·       Kermit Driscoll...Boomstatz…Reveille (19/8)
·       Kermit Driscoll...Great Expectations…Reveille (19/8)
·       Bob Sheppard...Gazelle…Close Your Eyes (BFM Jazz)
·       Bob Sheppard...All In A Row…Close Your Eyes (BFM Jazz)
·       Jonathan Kreisberg...Stir The Stars…Shadowless (NFN Music)
·       Jonathan Kreisberg...The Common Climb…Shadowless (NFN Music)
·       New Cool Collective...The Golden Glow Of Sunrise…In Concert (Dox Records)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll focus on another of the undisputed Lords of Fusion as we give you GEORGE DUKE’S GREATEST FUSION HITS! As George celebrates his 65th on the 12th, we’ll celebrate his incredible accomplishments during the fusion era as we hear George solo as well as in collaboration with Frank Zappa, Stanley Clarke, Jean-Luc Ponty, Cannonball Adderley and Billy Cobham.  It’s GEORGE DUKE’S GREATEST FUSION HITS this on week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

We’ll continue our week-long celebration of one of the birthday of one of the greats of MOJA as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE DUKE!” The great George Duke turns 65 on Wednesday the 12th and it gives us a chance to share some of the fun conversations we’ve enjoyed with George over the years as well as his award-winning music. You’ll hear all about George’s beginnings in Northern California, his early work in straight-ahead jazz followed by his forays into fusion and funk, his collaborations with the likes of Miles, Zappa, Cannonball, Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke and many more.  In addition you’ll simply hear the positive thoughts of one of the most talented, warm and wonderful figures in all of jazz. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Come celebrate with us as we present “HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE DUKE,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!