[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Jason Stein & Jane Ira Bloom

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Jan 10 09:16:52 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110110_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(JANUARY 10, 2011) -- CD GIVEAWAY! I've got a copy of Jane Ira Bloom's
new CD Wingwalker to give to one lucky listener. Be the fourth person to
send an email to contest at thejazzsession.com with JANE as the subject
line. Good luck!

Are YOU a member? Please support The Jazz Session's "100 By 300"
membership campaign. The goal is to reach 100 members by the 300th show.
Join today! Thanks! http://thejazzsession.com/join

This past Wednesday I was the featured poet at historic Caffe Lena in
Saratoga Springs. The place was packed and the reading was a ton of fun
(despite a heckler in the audience). If you missed it, the audio of my
reading is now available at
http://jasoncrane.org/2011/01/06/audio-my-poetry-reading-at-caffe-lena/

Speaking of poetry, I wrote a poem in response to the shootings in
Tucson. It's not a very hopeful poem, but it's an honest expression of
my feelings:

http://jasoncrane.org/2011/01/09/poem-this-changes-nothing/

One final poetry note: I launched a new poetry zine last week called
Daylight Robbery. You can get a copy at http://snafupress.com.

I'm still working on finding a job in NYC. Here's my resume:

http://jasoncrane.org/images/Jason_Crane_resume.pdf

This week on the show: Jason Stein (TJS #230, Monday) & Jane Ira Bloom
(TJS #231, Thursday.)

Next week:  Gerald Cleaver and (tentatively) Lynne Arriale.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #230: Jason Stein. Bass clarinetist Jason Stein and his trio
Locksmith Isadore have just released their third album, Three Kinds Of
Happiness (NotTwo, 2010). In this interview, Stein talks about why he
started playing bass clarinet; how this album marks a new beginning for
the trio; and how he approaches solo performances on the bass clarinet.
SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #231: Jane Ira Bloom. Soprano saxophonist Jane Ira Bloom delivers
yet another excellent record with Wingwalker (Outline, 2011). In this
interview, Bloom talks about her use of movement in performance; why she
doesn’t feel the need to “script” much of the recording process; and how
some solos can only be played amidst great silence. SHOW AVAILABLE
STARTING 1/13/11.