[JPL] Gary Burton & fellow vibes masters in the spotlight this week on MOJA Radio

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jan 16 23:12:25 EST 2011

Since the great Gary Burton celebrates his 68th birthday on Saturday, January 23rd, we decided it was a good time to place our MOJA spotlight on the instrument that he, and other greats like him, have chosen to make their brilliant musical statements...the vibes and marimba!  We'll give you a host of specials programs to do just that with A Wednesday "Latin Jazz Jam" featuring the great Grammy-winning mallet master Dave Samuels and even Chick Corea on the marimba!  Then it's a host of vibes-masters making Fusion History with "Fusions' Good Vibrations" featuring Gary, Roy Ayers and Mike Mainieri!  On Saturday it's the thoughts and tunes of  Gary, Dave, Mike and young master Stefon Harris with a Words & Music special called "MOJA Masters of the Vibes!" We'll top it off with a Monday Masters on the 24th to celebrate Gary Burton's birthday.  The Vibes are indeed Good this week on MOJA Radio!

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (17-23 January 2011)

This Monday, January 17th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on one of the most popular keyboardists in all of jazz history, the great GEORGE DUKE, five days after his 65th birthday! You’ll hear the music and the stories behind the man who has collaborated with Frank Zappa, Jean-Luc Ponty, Cannonball Adderly, Stanley Clarke, Billy Cobham and other legendary figures of jazz.  His place in jazz fusion history is important and undeniable, and over the years his solo work has helped carve out a place for himself in jazz history that is a deep and lasting. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great GEORGE DUKE!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, we’ll add that exciting spice that is a major element of MOJA as we present LATIN JAZZ JAM LIVE! You’ll hear some of the greats tapping into their Latin soul as Chick Corea, Dave Samuels, Poncho Sanchez, Arturo Sandoval and others gathered in Miami in 2000 for the “Jam Miami” project. Then it’s Dave and his multi-Grammy-winning band Caribbean Jazz Project live at Pittsburgh’s Manchester Craftsman’s Guild for a 2004 performance of some of their most famous tunes.  We’ll go back in time for the Cuban all-star sensation Irakere featuring Chucho Valdes, Arturo Sandoval and Paquito D’Rivera with music from their 1978 World Tour. Then, it’s Chuco Valdes with Colombian-born multi-instrumentalist and founding member of New York’s Groove Collective, Jay Rodriquez, together live in Italy in 2007 followed by Jay and Groove Collective going Latin at the “Celebrate Brooklyn Festival.”  To hear it all just join us for a LATIN JAZZ JAM LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 9 AM east/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM Eastern, join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.  This week we’ll more from three new releases we’ve featured earlier including the CD simply called The DeFrancesco Brothers, featuring organist Joey and brother Johnny on guitar in a album of groove that sounds like a house party. Plus there’s more from the new live CD New Cool Collective In Concert, the import we sought out filled with NNC’s unique blend of funk, afro-beat, boogaloo, latin and more. And there’s more from Los Angeles-based veteran saxman Bob Sheppard and very special guests mixing swing and new groove on his great new album titled Close Your Eyes.  Then we’ll hear soprano saxophonist Jane Ira Bloom with guests like drummer Bobby Previte on the CD titled Wingwalker. Well also give you reeds & woodwinds master Ben Kono with some very inventive new work on the album Crossing, and debut the work of versatile guitarist Patrick Butler on the album Transcender. If you want to keep up with all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s what you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

Jane Ira Bloom...Freud’s Convertible…Wingwalker (Out-Line)
Ben Kono…Rice…Crossing (19/8)
Bob Sheppard...Brain Fog…Close Your Eyes (BFM Jazz)
Patrick Butler...Momentum…Transcender (M.M.O.S. Music)
Patrick Butler...Blissful Excursion…Transcender (M.M.O.S. Music)
DeFrancesco Brothers...Rigges…DeFrancesco Brothers (VectorDisc)
DeFrancesco Brothers...Red Van Ride…DeFrancesco Brothers (VectorDisc)
New Cool Collective...Bocca Arriba…In Concert (Dox Records)
New Cool Collective...Lang Lang…In Concert (Dox Records)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll put a special focus on birthday boy Gary Burton, plus Mike Mainieri and Roy Ayers, three men who with mallets in hand made fusion history, as we present a special feature we call “FUSION’S GOOD VIBRATIONS.” You’ll hear some of Roy Ayers’ great work from the ‘70’s featuring collaborations with Herbie Mann, Herbie Hancock, Miroslav Vitous, Gary Bartz and others.  You’ll hear Mike Mainieri, the founder of Steps Ahead, with live performances from The Brecker Brothers’ club 7th Ave. South as well as with the all-star hot shots from NYC known as White Elephant and Gary Burton featuring the fiery guitar work of Larry Coryell, and pianist Keith Jarrett plus others. It’s “FUSION’S GOOD VIBRATIONS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

We’ll continue our celebration of the birthday of vibes master Gary Burton, one of the greats of MOJA, and three other great men who play the same instrument at the highest level as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “MOJA MASTERS OF THE VIBES!” The great Gary Burton turns 68 on Sunday the 23rd and it gives us a chance to share some of the wonderful conversations we’ve enjoyed with him. Also, we’ll put the spotlight on three other gentlemen who’ve distinguished themselves by making great MOJA on the vibes, Steps Ahead’s Mike Mainieri, young master Stefon Harris and the Grammy-winning leader of Caribbean Jazz Project, Dave Samuels. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It’s Gary Burton, Stefon Harris, Mike Mainieri and Dave Samuels, “MOJA MASTERS OF THE VIBES,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (24-30 January 2011)

On Monday, January 24th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on one of the most important figures in all of jazz history, the great master of the vibes GARY BURTON, who celebrates his 68th birthday on Sunday, January 23rd! You’ll hear the music and the stories behind the man whose unique four-mallet technique made him sound unlike any vibes player before him.  You’ll hear how he boldly made the transition from straight ahead to fusion, how he’s worked with the likes of Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Keith Jarrett, Pat Metheny and so many others with great results. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great GARY BURTON!