[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Gerald Cleaver & Lynne Arriale!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Jan 17 16:40:56 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110117_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(JANUARY 17, 2011) -- Two sneak peeks: This week on the show you're
getting a chance to hear two records that will be released in the next few
weeks. Gerald Cleaver's new album comes out on January 25 and Lynne
Arriale's record hits the shelves on February 8.

Today is Martin Luther King Day in the United States. I made an erasure
poem based on his "Beyond Vietnam" speech. You can hear the poem and
download a PDF of it here:

http://jasoncrane.org/2011/01/17/poem-i-cannot-threaten-death-a-poem-for-mlk/

Are YOU a member? Please support The Jazz Session's "100 By 300"
membership campaign. The goal is to reach 100 members by the 300th show.
Join today! Thanks!

http://thejazzsession.com/join

I'm taking part in a month-long poetry project called a river of stones.
The idea is to write a small poem (a "stone") each day in January. I'm
going to attempt to write a stone each day this year, rather than just for
a month. You can see all my stones at my blog:

http://jasoncrane.org/category/poetry/stones/

I saw an incredible production of Hamlet last week done by London's
National Theatre. It was shown in a movie theater here in Albany as part
of a global broadcast. My thoughts on this production and its relevance to
our surveillance-minded culture are here:

http://jasoncrane.org/2011/01/11/hamlet-for-our-surveillance-age/

I'm still working on finding a job in NYC. Here's my resume:

http://jasoncrane.org/images/Jason_Crane_resume.pdf

This week on the show: Gerald Cleaver (TJS #232, Monday) & Lynne Arriale
(TJS #231, Thursday.)

Next week:  David Binney & Robert Hurst.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #232: Gerald Cleaver. Gerald Cleaver’s new album, Be It As I See It
(Fresh Sound New Talent, 2011), is a musical exploration of the Great
Migration and its relation to his own family's history. In this interview,
Cleaver discusses the musical and historical mission behind the formation
of his band Uncle June; his use of spoken word and sound collages as
additional layers in his compositions; and how he made careful decisions
to arrive at his current place as a musician. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #233: Lynne Arriale. Pianist Lynne Arriale's new CD, Convergence
(Motema, 2011), is her second album to feature a horn player, this time
saxophonist Bill McHenry. In this interview, Arriale talks about her
decision to expand her band; how she searches within herself as part of
her compositional process; and why she enjoys teaching as a means of human
connection.  SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 1/20/11.

--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session