[JPL] PLAYLIST: Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz - "Bess st of 2010 22?= (soulandjazz.com)

scott at soulandjazz.com scott at soulandjazz.com
Tue Jan 18 18:41:44 EST 2011

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 38: “The Best of 2010?”

Hosted & Produced by J. Scott Fugate, “The Jazz Evangelist”

Happy 2011! This is my first show of the New Year, and thus I thought it appropriate to provide a retrospective of 2010 . . . however, I’m a little uncomfortable being the arbiter of other people’s taste – so, three weeks ago I asked a question of our SoulandJazz.com listening audience to suggest their favorite artists & CDs from 2010.

Here is the first result of that survey – 12 artists & tracks that were rather unexpected and free to download here & now:  http://bit.ly/hQ63dV

The response was surprising. I did not receive one comment regarding any Straight Ahead, Mainstream, Modern or Avant Garde Jazz artist . . . the comments referred entirely to Funk, Fusion and Acid Jazz with a heavy dose of Soul – but if that’s what the people proclaim to be the best of 2010, then that’s what I’ll give them.

To that end, I present twelve tracks for your listening enjoyment chosen by SoulandJazz.com audience members as the best artist & CD’s of 2010 – including tracks by JD73, Claudia Hayden, Live Tropical Fish, Tom Glide & The Luv Allstars, Brian Culbertson, Derek Frank, Zo!, Incognito, Richard Earnshaw, Randy Skinner & Diesler.

More artists were indeed suggested, so I’ll be doing another “best of” show next week to fit in those that were left out. If your favorite Jazz release from 2010 is not among this grouping – then please feel free to give me YOUR picks for best artist, song or CD release during 2010 by writing to Scott at SoulandJazz.com . . . and I’ll try to include them in Part II! But right now, get ready for some 2010 nostalgia as we kick up the grooves of yesteryear before they actually become retro. Enjoy the ride!

PLAYLIST: Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz

Episode 38: “The Best Of 2010?”

Artist – Track – Album – Year

JD73 - Sweet Stuff - Pure Gold - 2010
(Intro music & background music bed)

Claudia Hayden - Jaquars On The Prowl - Abstract - 2010

Live Tropical Fish (feat. Omar) - Rubber Soul - The Day Is Too Short To Be Selfish -  2010

Tom Glide & The Luv Allstars - Love Is Coming Up (Soul In One Remix) - In The Name of Luv - 2010

Brian Culbertson (feat. Chuck Brown) - Feelin’ It - XII - 2010

Derek Frank - I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do) - Let The Games Begin - 2010

Zo! - Flight Of The Blackbyrd - SunStorm - 2010

Incognito (feat. Tony Momrelle) - Put A Little Lovin’ In Your Heart - Transatlantic RPM - 2010

JD73 (feat. Fraser) - Fantasy - Pure Gold - 2010

Richard Earnshaw (feat. Carleen Anderson) - My Door Is Open - In Time - 2010

Randy Skinner - Wah - SkinTones In Pursuit - 2010

Diesler (feat. Laura Vane) - Samba Magic - Tie Breakers - 2010