[JPL] The Lineup Xerox Jazz Festival

Ed Trefzger ed at trefzgermedia.com
Wed Jan 19 16:45:25 EST 2011

The full lineup will be announced on March 22.

Much like Montreal, there are non-jazz headline events, as Tom mentioned.
But there are 10 other clubs, houses of worship and recital halls for
performances seating up to 500 people which book everything from mainstream
to more adventurous jazz acts. Those headliner theater shows bring in the
bucks to subsidize the other events. Two sold-out shows of Jeff Beck last
year, for example, probably grossed $200,000 and went a long way toward the
viability of the festival -- which treats musicians very well and pays them
in full before they take the stage.

The slogan for this year's festival is "It's not who you know, it's who you
don't know!" And the producers of this festival have a good track record in
that department.

I'd rather see those big non- or semi-jazz shows make the whole shebang
possible than see no festival at all.