[JPL] Re: Jazz in cartoons

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Fri Jan 21 10:52:10 EST 2011

I am fortunate that here at KUVO/KVJZ we have a veteran on air host who like me is a fan of cartoons. I am sure that Doug Crane who is a member of this forum can chime in with more examples and details about jazz in cartoons

I'll take the Fleischer Brothers cartoons over Disney and Looney Toons any day, their toons were more urban and gritty than Disney and were also more advanced in their animation skills. Back in the 1930s, they produced Betty Boop shorts with live film and animated appearances by Louis Armstrong and Cab Calloway in addition to having many  jazz soundtracks in their other shorts including Popeye. There one 1940's Popeye toon with his 5 nephews rehearsing their horns for a jazz band keeping Popeye the Sailor up all night.

Many don't realize that the Betty Boop was based on the real life Black Harlem based singer, Baby Esther, a flapper from the jazz age.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director
The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station