[JPL] Re: Jazz in cartoons

merrillfla at aol.com merrillfla at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 12:24:39 EST 2011

Thanks but I don't do Twitter

Melodious Mel Lipton
WDNA 88.9 FM Miami Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: Arturo Gomez <arturo at kuvo.org>
To: jazzproglist at jazzweek. com (jazzproglist at jazzweek.com) <jazzproglist at jazzweek.com>
Sent: Fri, Jan 21, 2011 10:52 am
Subject: [JPL] Re: Jazz in cartoons

**** Follow us at twitter.com/jazzweek ****

I am fortunate that here at KUVO/KVJZ we have a veteran on air host who like me
is a fan of cartoons. I am sure that Doug Crane who is a member of this forum
can chime in with more examples and details about jazz in cartoons

I'll take the Fleischer Brothers cartoons over Disney and Looney Toons any day,
their toons were more urban and gritty than Disney and were also more advanced
in their animation skills. Back in the 1930s, they produced Betty Boop shorts
with live film and animated appearances by Louis Armstrong and Cab Calloway in
addition to having many  jazz soundtracks in their other shorts including
Popeye. There one 1940's Popeye toon with his 5 nephews rehearsing their horns
for a jazz band keeping Popeye the Sailor up all night.

Many don't realize that the Betty Boop was based on the real life Black Harlem
based singer, Baby Esther, a flapper from the jazz age.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director
The Oasis In The City, The Front Range and the High Country!
jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station