[JPL] Jazz in cartoons

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 03:30:06 EST 2011

Carl Stalling made pretty liberal use of Raymond Scott's compositions
during the entire time he was at Warner Brothers (1930's to 1950's).
Things like "Powerhouse", "Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals"
and "The Toy Trumpet" just to name a few.  Columbia reissued a
collection of Scott's original recordings from the 1930's back in 1992
called "Reckless Nights & Turkish Twilights".  Most anybody who's seen a
Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck/et al. cartoon will instantly recognize these
tunes.  A couple of Scott tunes also appear on Don Byron's "Bug Music".

Not on any soundtrack CD that I know of but worth a mention is Shorty
Rogers score to Friz Freleng's WB cartoon "The Three Little Bops" (1956)
which recasts the three little pigs as a hip jazz trio put upon by a
very unhip trumpet-playing wolf.  The cartoon's out there on YouTube.

Wikipedia says:
Instrument credits are believed to be:

     * Vocals - Stan Freberg (credited on the short)
     * Saxophone - Pepper Adams (or possibly Jimmy Giuffre)
     * Trumpet/flugelhorn - Shorty Rogers (credited on the short)
     * Piano - Pete Jolly
     * Guitar - Barney Kessel
     * Bass - Red Callender (or possibly Red Mitchell)
     * Drums - Stan Levey (or possibly Shelly Manne)

Can't get much jazzier than that!

Doug Crane
dcrane at comcast.net
KUVO Denver 89.3FM (Weds 7-10PM Mountain Time)

On 1/20/2011 3:26 PM, Peter Solomon wrote:

> This new sampler of disney music performed by jazz musicians makes me want
> to hear some of the original soundtrack music that featured jazz musicians.
> I have access to Peggy Lee doing music from "ady and the Tramp"and I am
> guessing that Louis Primas performances from Jungle Book are pretty easy to
> find, but some of the cartoons that used jazz scores are much more
> obscure. Can anyone recommend some good compilations or soundtracks to check
> out?
>
> Thanks
> Peter

And then I had this dream that my whole family were just cartoon characters and our success had led to some crazy propaganda network called Fox News.
--Bart Simpson