[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Robert Hurst & David Binney

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Jan 24 00:13:51 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/11024_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(JANUARY 24, 2011) -- I spent the last week on the road between central
Pennsylvania, New York City and my home in Albany. Along the way I had a
chance to see some wonderful music, including performances by Fay Victor
and Jeff "Tain" Watts. Fay's show was great. She and the band (Ken
Filiano on bass and Anders Nilsson on guitar) were trying out new music
for a forthcoming album. Highlights included a great song about big bags
and another song about revenge by castration.

The Watts show featured Steve Coleman and Robert Hurst. I sat at a table
with John Szwed, author of the definitive book on Sun Ra. During the
gig, I wrote a poem, which you'll find here:

http://jasoncrane.org/2011/01/18/poem-in-which-we-cross-east-27th-street-at-high-tide/

I'm still taking part in the month-long poetry project called "a river
of stones." On Sunday, I wrote my first poem in Japanese, which you can
hear and read at my blog:

http://jasoncrane.org/2011/01/23/stone-23-my-first-stone-in-japanese/

Are YOU a member? Please support The Jazz Session's "100 By 300"
membership campaign. The goal is to reach 100 members by the 300th show.
Join today! Thanks! http://thejazzsession.com/join

I'm still working on finding a job in NYC. Here's my resume:

http://jasoncrane.org/images/Jason_Crane_resume.pdf

This week on the show: Robert Hurst (TJS #234, Monday) & David Binney
(TJS #235, Thursday.)

Next week:  Ray Anderson (TJS #236, Monday) & Rodrigo Amado (TJS #237,
Thursday).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #234: Robert Hurst. Bassist Robert Hurst has been a first-call
musician since his early days with Wynton and Branford Marsalis. He’s
just released two new albums, Bob Ya Head (Bebob Records, 2011) and
Unrehurst, Vol. 2 (Bebob Records, 2011). In this interview, recorded at
Jazz Standard in New York, Hurst talks about the politics and rhythms
underlying Bob Ya Head; how his Detroit upbringing impacted his musical
life; and why school is great but it’s no substitute for putting in time
on the bandstand. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #235: David Binney. Saxophonist David Binney is one of the most
prolific composers on the jazz scene today. His most recent album is
Graylen Epicenter (Mythology, 2011). In this interview, Binney talks
about the origin of the band on this record; the interesting story
behind the CD's unusual title; and his opinion on the grant process for
jazz composers. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 1/27/11.

--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session

You can also read my poems at: