[JPL] Phil Woods/Grace Kelly

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 09:35:44 EST 2011

After tonight's "official" CD release concert at The Jazz Standard in NYC
(Grace only, sans Phil), the pair head to Europe for three weeks. I was at
their  premier at Sculler's in Boston last week, two sold-out shows, and they
 both were terrific.

The release gives a chance to toot the horn of the Pittsfield CityJazz
Festival, which gave name to their new CD, "Man with the Hat." Phil Woods, a
newly-announced NEA Jazz Master at the time (2006), was our featured
performer,  and he invited Grace onstage to play a number. She was 14 years old.
When they  were still swapping choruses of "I'll Remember April," Phil removed
his  trademark leather cap and placed it on her head. It was a passing of
the torch,  so to speak, a moment that is recorded on her liner notes to the
album.

The moment is preserved on YouTube (Google Grace Kelly Phil Woods
Pittsfield), and is great fun.

Phil Woods and Grace Kelly will conclude this year's tour in Pittsfield on
Oct. 15, the 5th anniversary of the "behatting incident," just two weeks
prior  to Phil's 80th birthday.

Ed

In a message dated 1/25/2011 2:26:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,