[JPL] Gary Burton, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Joe Sample, Herbie Hancock & more in the spotlight this week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 25 10:48:43 EST 2011

PLUS...check out the awesome new music on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE!  Great stuff from all over the world with a special thanks to Jason Miles & DJ Logic for their great, new work A PRAYER FOR THE PLANET and the label MOONJUNE that seems to be able to reach all over the globe to find cool stuff!

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (24-30 January 2011)
This Monday, January 24th, we presented another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS onMOJA Radio. And this time we focused on one of the most important figures in all of jazz history, the great master of the vibes GARY BURTON, who celebrates his 68th birthday on Sunday, January 23rd! You’ll hear the music and the stories behind the man whose unique four-mallet technique made him sound unlike any vibes player before him.  You’ll hear how he boldly made the transition from straight ahead to fusion, how he’s worked with the likes of Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Keith Jarrett, Pat Metheny and so many others with great results.

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radioas we invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, we’ll take you to The Knitting Factory in Los Angeles as we present HERBIE HANCOCK FUTURE 2 FUTURE LIVE.  In 2002 when Herbie again shocked the critics and astounded his fans with his excursion into techno-jazz on the album Future 2 Future, he was determined to show this was not just a studio effort but could be presented live as well.  He did just that with the help of trumpet master Wallace Roney, drummer Terri Lyne Carrington, bassist Matt Garrison and others. We’ll take you there to hear it if you join us for HERBIE HANCOCK FUTURE 2 FUTURE LIVEon this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Every Thursday at 9 AM east/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM Eastern, join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE.  This week we’ll more start with something new that features Bill Frisell & fellow guitarist Vinicius Cantuaria from Brazil with Lagrimas Mexicanas, followed by a couple of cuts from a new CD from the Disney company that features jazzy versions of songs from famous Disney movies by an all star cast.  It’s called Everybody Wants To Be A Cat, and we’ll give you tunes by trumpeter Mark Rapp and The Bad Plus. Then, speaking of All-Stars, it’s Allan Holdsworth, Alan Pasqua, Jimmy Haslip and Chad Wackerman celebrating the legacy of Tony Williams Lifetime on a great new live album titled Blues For Tony.  Then keyboardist Jason Miles and turntable star DJ Logic team up with fellow all-stars like Karl Denson, Oz Noy, Jeff Coffin and others on the second CD under the name Global Noize titled A Prayer For The Planet. Then we’ll wrap it up with some stunning, new fusion from Indonesian guitarist Tohpatti and his band Ethnomission on the album Save The Planet. If you want to keep up with all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s what you’ll hear this week…
ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)
Vinicius Cantuaria & Bill Frissel...Lagrimas Mexicanas…Lagrimas Mexicanas (EOne)
Mark Rapp…Circle Of Life…Everybody Wants To Be A Cat (Disney Records)
The Bad Plus…Gaston…Everybody Wants To Be A Cat (Disney Records)
Holdsworth Pasqua Haslip Wackerman...Fred…Blues For Tony (Moonjune)
Holdsworth Pasqua Haslip Wackerman...Pud Wud…Blues For Tony (Moonjune)
Global Noize...21st Century Preacherman…A Prayer For The Planet (Global Noize)
Global Noize...RIOS (A Riot In Outer Space)…A Prayer For The Planet (Global Noize)
Tohpati  Ethnomission...New Inspiration…Save The Planet (Moonjune)
Tohpati  Ethnomission...Festive People…Save The Planet (Moonjune)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION. This week we’ll put a special focus on one of the greats of fusion history who turns 72 on Tuesday the first of February, as we present a special feature we call “JOE SAMPLE’S GREATEST FUSION HITS.” You’ll hear lot’s of the music by the band that  featured Joe and his school chums from Houston, Wilton Felder, Wayne Henderson and Stix Hooper, AKA The Crusaders, plus some of his work as a sideman during the fusion era on ground-breaking releases by Tom Scott & The L.A. Express and Ronnie Laws.  It’s “JOE SAMPLE’S GREATEST FUSION HITS,”on this week’s edition ofIF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio we’ll pull back the curtain on a guitarist and composer who you probably don’t know enough about but should, he’s “KURT ROSENWINKEL: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY!” Join Russ Davis as he takes you to New York City’s famed Village Vanguard to talk to Kurt just before his first set of the night. You’ll hear about growing up the musical hotbed of Philadelphia, his time at Boston’s Berklee College of Music and his break-through with Gary Burton. You’ll hear how after establishing himself as one of the up and coming young American guitarists he moved to Europe, where he lives now, to tap into that fertile scene, culminating with his latest collaboration with Portugal’s Orchestra de Jazz de Matosinhos on the album “Our Secret World.” During the conversation Kurt will reveal the secrets behind his unique, sometimes mysterious style. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It’s “KURT ROSENWINKEL: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we callTHE SUNDAY SPECIALS here onMOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZfollowed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances onLIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALStwice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific onMOJA Radio!