[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Ray Anderson & Rodrigo Amado!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Jan 31 08:31:28 EST 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/11031_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(JANUARY 31, 2011) -- The Jazz Session hit 900,000 downloads on
Saturday! Who woulda thunk, when I started this show in my pajamas four
year ago, that it would still be going – and growing – four years later?
Thank you all very much for listening to and supporting the show. Which
leads me to...

New members! A heartfelt "thank you" to everyone who's joined since the
last time I posted names in this newsletter:

* Rebecca Martin
* Dan Wilcox
* Martin Urbach
* Jeffrey Hesler
* Robert Devens
* Jason Linnell
* Sonya LoGalbo
* David Galea
* Anthony McGee

Are YOU a member? Please support The Jazz Session's "100 By 300"
membership campaign. The goal is to reach 100 members by the 300th show.
Join today! Thanks!

http://thejazzsession.com/join

Amazing uprisings are happening around the world these days, including
in Egypt. I wrote a poem this weekend in solidarity with the people of
Egypt:

http://jasoncrane.org/2011/01/30/poem-january-25-2011/

This week on the show: Ray Anderson (TJS #236, Monday) & Rodrigo Amado
(TJS #237, Thursday)

Next week:  Brian Drye of Bizingas (TJS #238, Monday) & Jerome Sabbagh
(TJS #239, Thursday)

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #236: Ray Anderson. Trombonist Ray Anderson teams up with longtime
friend Marty Ehrlich for the new live record Hear You Say (Challenge
Records, 2010). In this interview, Anderson talks about his friendship
with Ehrlich, which goes back to their days with Anthony Braxton; how he
came to have such an open musical mind; and some breaking news regarding
another new CD coming out this spring. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #237: Rodrigo Amado. Portuguese saxophonist Rodrigo Amado’s new
album, Searching For Adam (Not Two, 2010), features Taylor Ho Bynum,
John Hebert and Gerald Cleaver. In this interview, Amado describes how
he chose his bandmates without having played with them before; talks
about his decision to record freely improvised music; and tells the
story of the amazing transformation of the jazz scene in Lisbon and
Portugal. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 2/3/11.