[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Maria Schneider, Sean Smith, Chris Washburne

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon May 2 10:15:14 EDT 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110502_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(MAY 2, 2011)  FINAL COUNTDOWN!

Goal: 100 members by the 300th show
Current members: 31
Members needed: 69
Shows left until TJS #300: 38

Why should you join the show? David from Brisbane, Australia, explains
why he did:

"I was really happy to become a member even though i can only contribute
10 bucks a month, (there was loose change in my couch cushions, how bout
that), would love to be able to give more.  I just wanted to say that I
look forward to your interviews every week and really appreciate the
questions you have to the different musicians.

"As an aspiring jazz musician here in Brisbane (you may already know
that Brisbane is not the centre of the Jazz Universe) your show opens my
eyes to a lot of different musicians and music that we just don't get
here in Australia, so i really dig the new names that I have been able
to get into. I especially dug the interview with John Patitucci and also
David Binney, although at this point a whole lot more come to mind. So
anyway again just wanted to say I dig it … and ask please that more
people contribute to this great jazz resource."

Please note that during the month of May I'll be posting three shows
each week. I got a little crazy with the interviews when I moved to NYC,
and I need to add an interview each week to get through them all. In
June the show will go back to two days a week.

Next week on the show: Billy Harper (TJS #265, Monday), Anthony Wilson
(TJS #266, Wednesday) and Slumgum's Jon Armstrong (TJS #267, Friday).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #262: Maria Schneider. Composer Maria Schneider’s most recent CD is
Sky Blue (ArtistShare). Now Schneider has turned her attention to the
classical world, composing music for soprano and orchestra. In this
interview, Schneider talks about how a meeting with soprano Dawn Upshaw
led to this new direction in her music; how she waded through oceans of
poetry to find the text she wanted for her new pieces; and how a chance
comment from a college professor led her to the world of jazz. SHOW
AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #263: Sean Smith. Bassist Sean Smith's new CD is called Trust. In
this interview, Smith talks about the idea of trust among musicians;
recalls Bill Finnegan's teachings; and talks about the potentially
career-ending injury that gave him a new lease on life and music. SHOW
AVAILABLE STARTING 5/4/11.

TJS #264: Chris Washburne. Chris Washburne and The SYOTOS Band explore
the softer side of latin jazz on Fields Of Moons. In this interview,
Washburne talks about his own entry in the latin music world; his
experiences with Tito Puente and other giants; and why he decided to
explore quieter music on the new CD. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 5/6/11.

*********************************
--
Jason Crane
The Jazz Session