[JPL] bopndicks 10 picks APRIL 2011

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 23:39:44 EDT 2011

BOPNDICKS
 10  PICKS     APRIL   2011

ROBERTA
 PIKET       SIDES,  COLORS      Thirteenth
Note Records
Pianist
Roberta Piket, from Queens N.Y..   Father and composer Frederick
Piket gave her first piano lesson when she was seven.
She
acquired degrees in computer science from Tufts University and jazz
studies at  New England Conservatory Of Music
Her
usage of space, time and melody is exceptional, impressionistic and
highly iconic with “Billy's Ballad.”
Piket's
string arrangements are breathtaking and beautiful.
Her
performances are imaginative performance art.
Then
“My Friends and Neighbors (for Sam Rivers.)  and there's a nice run
on “Billy's Ballad.”
So much
for Piket's earnest playfulness on “Make Someone Happy.”
A prime
member of this together trio is Billy Mintz, drummer and, of course.
Johannes Weidenmueller on bass in what is, another essential
ingredient of this CD.

Make no
mistake, Roberta Piket is an evolving jazz progression with “Sides,
Colors.”

Oh,
what about those other prime orchestrations with horn, reeds and
strings on “Sides/ Colors? “

Pianist
Roberta Piket has nocturnal jazz enthusiasm.

RON
DiSALVIO      HAPPILY  EVANS  AFTER     blujazz
label

What a gracious and nice mainstream jazz CD!  Pianist
Ron DiSalvio lays it out there with romance,  luminous writing and
pianistic virtue.
“Happily
Evans After”  has variety from a Brubeck modern folklore change of
cadence of “Blues Four Three” and “Mesmerize “

What an experience, reminiscent of the Peter Gunn TV
series.
“My
Space” resides  in a realm, random Mozart,  to Alex Kaelo,  to Les
McAnn.  Quite a trip, from a complete  Mancini,  to a “Happily
Evans After.”

TOM
LUER      PROJECT  POPULAR
   Origin Records

Saxophonist Tom Luer combines energies with guitarist
Andrew Synowiec's voluptuous, tasteful runs, to Andy Langham's
rapturous  fender Rhodes.  This is the kind of magnetism that
delights with long contemporary bursts before a large audience at the
Greek theater on a Saturday night. for this is an honest goodness
thriving jam jazz band. Luer begins with a great version of Eddie
Vedder's “Jeremy.”

A Luer original, “Mind The Gap” has all the kinetic
elements and along with guitarist Andrew Synowiec's guitar riffs and
back up by drummer Dan Schnelle's rapid counter balancing drum lines.
The tune just cooks, catchy and tasteful with ample room for
improvisation, as in Edwin Livingston's free acoustic bass line in
“I'm Putting Me First.”

Tom Luer's “Project Popular”  is full of dynamic
energy and onstage flair that says these guy love creating music
together.

GEOFFREY
 KEEZER / PETER  SPRAGUE  BAND    MILL CREEK  ROAD

SBE  Records

Two outstanding young jazz musicians, pianist Geoffrey
Keezer and guitarist Peter Sprague team up for a rather contemporary
romp through the postulate of pop and jazz. Wow! How glorious!  The
energy is evident throughout with a mix of Indian, new world bop and
the euphemism of west coast modern jazz.

Overall, the  sound of “Mill Creek Road” is
effervescent and fresh as new beginnings, here and the there-afters,
or let's say, Chick Corea  sitting in with Pat Metheny. Okay!!!

CHAD
McCULLOUGH  &  BRAM WEIJTERS    IMAGINARY  SKETCHES   Origin
Records

Trumpet player Chad McCullougth and Slovakian pianist
Bram Weijters collaborate on the new CD “Imaginary Sketches.” It
sounds almost madrigal in a way, in contrapuntal voices- nuance to
the medieval, a gestures toward the post  modern. The two musicians
compliment one another from different aspects of their musical
background-one from the old school and the other the  new cool
school.

ABDULLAH
 IBRAHIM  &  EKAYA:       SOTHO  BLUE
 Sunnyside Records

Pianist

Pianist Abullah Ibrahim, aka Adloph Brand, “Dollar
Brand,” born in Capetown South Africa, born in a transition to
modern jazz, encompassing a whole world wide composition of jazz.
Abdullah  Ibrahim is able to inspire a whole new bop generation with
new bop. The music is personal and encrusted with the blues and South
African folklore.

Ekaya is a septet, trombone with three reeds adding
diversity. The sound can vary from Ellington, to avant gard, to
Mingus tonalities.  Jason Marshall's baritone saxophone and Andrae
Murchison's trombone provides a dissonant bottom when needed.

This album consists of Ibrahim originals and with it's
tone and slow varying tempos. “Sotho Blue” is the most
interesting Abdullah  Ibrahim music, yet.

MONICA
HERZIG      COME  WITH  ME
     OWL Records

Pianist Monika Herzig new two part DVD/CD, “Come With
Me” proves to be as relaxed, candid and lyrical, as she is in
conversation. One gets a real sense of this young artist from the
DVD. It translates well to her arranging and composing. It also shows
then life of a young jazz musician is centered around music and
education, as opposed to  the vintage years away from home on the
club circuit.

The crux of her band in  Tom Clark, saxes and flute,
Carol Dutton, violin, Peter Kienle Guitar, `Kenny Phelps, drums and
Frank Smith, bass.

Her originals are fresh,  a nice hook on“The Pianists
Say,” a pleasant locked in ballad phrasing in  “Come With Me,”
a festive Latin, “Ole' “ and a rather boppish “Parisian
Thoroughfare,”  “Italian Taxi Ride,”

Monika Herzig's  new DVD/ CD, “Come With Me”
delights with an energetic new positive of Mid Western convergence
with modern jazz.

MANHATTAN
SCHOOL OF MUSIC  AFRO – CUBAN  JAZZ  ORCHESTRA  Conducted by Bobby
Sanabria     TITO  PUENTE  MASTERWORKS  LIVE !!!

Jazzheads Records

Percussionist Bobby Sanabria  celebrates the music of
Tito Puente in this Massterworks Live!!! performance of the Manhattan
School Of Music Afro-Cuban Jazz Orchestra.

1971, I had a brief stay in NYC working as a radio rep.

One night we were bouncing with friends in Mid Town
Manhattan, where we came across Tito Puente performing with a Latin
nonet. This was 1971 and the soprano saxophonist open with a 6 minute
solo and we knew we were in for a Latin jazz treat!

Tito Puente was all about the Afro Cuban sound. What
struck me about that night was the long solo saxophone solos with a
powerhouse backup.  A perfect environment.  He really knew how jump
up a small room.

Bobby Sanabria really knows the formula and power,
mixing modern jazz with Afro-Cuban.

It also has that Kenton, “Peanut Vendor” sound and
feel.

Bobby Sanabria and the Manhattan Afro-Cuban Jazz
Orchestra!   A tribute to Tito Puente classic!

ADAMS
CRUZ         MILESTONE     Sunnyside
Records

Drummer Adam Cruz has assembled a powerhouse band for
this recording with Chris Potter, tenor sax, Miguel Zenon, alto
saxophone, Steve Wilson, soprano sax, Steve Cardenas, guitar, pianist
Edward Simon and Ben Street on bass.

All the compositions are Adam Cruz originals,
synthesizing acoustic modern Afro-  Cuban Latin with post bop
possibilities. Cruz has created a very progressive sound.

It reminds me of some of Miles Davis acoustic modal work
“In A Silent Way” at the very beginning of his transformation to
a electric sound.  Adam Cruz , as with Antonio Sanchez are almost
spiritually influenced by Tony Williams.  Trust me on this!

The message here is drummer Adam Cruz, as well as, other
modern Latin musician have fused the  new Afro Cuban with a seamless
new post modern jazz.

An endless openness  for merging musical forms, evolving
 to a more exciting expansive concert band,.  Adam Cruz, “Milestone”
is enticing enough on record for you to want to bare witness to this
marvelous band in person.

WAYNE
GOINS     CHRONICLES   OF   CARMELA...        Little
Apple Records

Guitarist Wayne Goins is a pure facile jazz
traditionalist with a tapestry full of  smooth clean runs as good as
any a great session guitarist.  Wayne Goins is as
intricate-technically sound as the great George Van Eps and swings
with this very together band of saxophonist Craig Treinen, pianist
Bill Wingfield, bassist Gordon  Lewis, drummer Matt Leifer and
organist Everette DeVan.

Listening to “Chronicles Of Camela” brings to mind
over 70 years of jazz guitar ritual of the masters.  The tunes are
all Wayne Goin originals. His repor with saxophonist Wayne Treinen is
gratifying- pleasing with their intricate long conversations.

Wayne Goins is all what the great jazz guitarists are
portrayed to be- great session musicians, cool, sophisticated with a
legendary sound.  Immortality- frankly if I were you, I'd have him
initial his guitar pick for you. In a 100 years, it could be worth a
bloody fortune!

ONES
 TO  WATCH:

HERB
ALPERT & LANI HALL      I FEEL YOU     Concord
Jazz

You remember all the tunes,. Most of which are grooves
we all enjoyed as jazz aficionados, Van Morrison'as “Moon Dance,”
Vince Guaraldi's “Cast Your Fate To The Wind” “There Will Never
Be Another You,” in a Latin groove and vocalizing by Herb Alpert
with muted trumpet.  Almost as though one song merges to another as
Lani Hall's interpretation of “Fever” in multi disruptive
abeyance to a classic, yet out-worldly arrangements  convene the
performance.

The one performance that resonates the most to me was
Herb Alpert's vocal of  the June Christy classic,“Something Cool.”
“I
Feel You” is full of envisioned re-imagined and romantic tunes in
stellar post operative euphoria.

ROBERT
 HURST        BOB  YA  HEAD       Bebob
Records

A completely new modern view of the spoken / un spoken
word. “Bob Ya Head” is a new redemptive view of post modern 21st
century American society-sort of Mingus  scatological  “Ah Um”
reverence- to a Malcolm  preference- a social history lesson,  set to
music,

Oh Lord! Like Charles Mingus.

Bass player Robert Hurst grew up in my home town, for
while the city around crumbles, he becomes a part of that insurgent
modern dis-pleasure, “Comes You. Comes Love,” is  a resource of
strength, a pleasure, what music can do, can be,  an integral part of
our inner tribal nature, as Detroit becomes a part of the new world
order of post modern shattered dreams.

DAVID
CACERES          DAVID CACERES
         Sunny side  Records

It was because of David Caceres that I decided to re
construct my view of the new post

modern, where  Marvin Gaye and  Stevie Wonder once
reigned, now occupied by the likes of Maxwell and John Mayer.

Alto saxophonist / vocalist David Caceres has created a
very hip post modern view of the new ever-evolving new modern jazz.
“Giving
Up,” so hard to do...so much a part of the American  church, flung
open  doors on the  South Dixie highway on a  hot Sunday night in
Riviera Beach..

So much of the modern soul, David Caceres has touched
upon a universal contemporary tome, one direction where this music is
going.... then there's his version of the classic “Round Midnight”
- Donny Hathaway on a Saturday night- a gospel of glory, love and the
last dance.

And as James Taylor will say, “You Make It Easy.”

FRANCIS
COLETTA / JONAS TAUBER          PORT  SAID   STREET
   Origin Records

Francis Coletta from Marseilles is a superb acoustic
guitarist and Swiss  cellist Jonas Tauber is a perfect accompaniment
on this very special “Port Said Street” duet CD,  The sound on
this recording is exceptional.  The originals are penned by Francis
Coletta.. There are jazz standards like Horace Silver's “Nica's
Dream,” intimate and personal as if they were performing in your
living room. The classic “Body and Soul” is performed with an
airy professionalism and intimate pacing that is the true mainstream
of this CD.”Port Said Street” is a favorite sofa you'd leave your
grand children- a expression of familiar moments.

MARK
SGANGA       AN  EVENING  IN   RIO      marksganga.com

Acoustic guitarist Mark Sganga has such command as a
guitarist. His remarkable technique may encompass the guitar world
order, for in 2009 he was awarded as  International finger style
champion.

You're in the rarefied company of  a world class
guitarist, able to challenge the  Spanish classical masters to a
finger-fast duel.

Mark Sganga has those kind of class chops!
“An
Evening In Rio” is a bossa nova thrill with Mark Sgaga singing on a
number of tunes, “Samba For My Friends.” “Voce Se Lembra,”a
blues style “Angel” and  an incredible  Latin  version of Jimi
Hendricks, “Fire.”

So Mark Sganga offers up the chance,

“Let
Me Stand To Your Fire!”